seahorses

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was wondering is there anyone on vancouver island british columbia who is sucsesfully keeping erectus or redi seahorse in the home aquarium

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why you limit your question to someone on Vancouver Island? Also, where do you find dependable supply of reidi now here in Canada?

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why you limit your question to someone on Vancouver Island? Also, where do you find dependable supply of reidi now here in Canada?
I dont have redi I have erectus but there care is simular. As to why on vancouver island (i live here) is I am new to seahorse keeping (about a year) I really care about these little animals as if they are my children and it is hard to find people willing to share knowladge and not get frustrated with me ask I ask alot of questions. I have had troubles and had lost a few in the beganing and know I have a problem with one horse who keeps getting pouch gas no mater what I do or the medication I use I am reading and uping all the energy to help with little succses. I was hoping to pay some one to help me help him give advise let me see there set up or pay them to come see mine and mabye they can find something I am missing. I am despreate to help and keep these little ones happy and healthy as I am the one one who can

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly have the addiction!!
I can tell you what I've experienced regarding pouch emphysema and my thoughts on the matter and you can decide if they are worth pursuing.
I too, like many others, have had the same experiences as you have, with some losses and with pouch emphysema. I tried a lot of different things for many years until listening to Dan Underwood of seahorsesource.com I realized my problem probably was due to water quality that slowly degrades to the point that bacteria becomes a very negative influence on the exterior and interior of the seahorses.
I started doing more and larger water changes and took extra special care in removing HIDDEN detritus/food from around rocks and decor in the tank, and doing much more frequent cleaning of mechanical filtration, no less than once a week but more often preferred. It ended up being the start of my turnaround.
I also began using a syringe and catheter to flush out affected male pouches with new, fresh saltwater, matching the temperature, s.g. and pH of the tank water. I usually flushed what would be the equivalent of about 10 volumes of the pouch affected.
This coupled with the more extreme husbandry seemed to solve my problems that way.
Unfortunately, there are NO test kits available to the hobbyists that can tell you when the water quality is deteriorating with respect to making it more ideal for nasty bacteria to take over, so preventative steps are my solution to the problem. It's an ongoing task but skipping chores once in awhile still can lead to deterioration over a longer period of time so that once a problem does surface, you often don't remember those times and are looking for something much more recent to have been the cause.
Basically, cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to a seahorse tank.
I wouldn't be paying someone to come to help you as the chances of someone being knowledgeable enough are not high, with many thinking they know but in fact don't.
In addition to posting here, you should take advantage of a couple of sites that are best known for helping seahorse keepers.
www.fusedjaw.com and check out the articles there.
http://seahorsesource.com/?page_id=781 and click on the various articles there.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly have the addiction!!
I can tell you what I've experienced regarding pouch emphysema and my thoughts on the matter and you can decide if they are worth pursuing.
I too, like many others, have had the same experiences as you have, with some losses and with pouch emphysema. I tried a lot of different things for many years until listening to Dan Underwood of seahorsesource.com I realized my problem probably was due to water quality that slowly degrades to the point that bacteria becomes a very negative influence on the exterior and interior of the seahorses.
I started doing more and larger water changes and took extra special care in removing HIDDEN detritus/food from around rocks and decor in the tank, and doing much more frequent cleaning of mechanical filtration, no less than once a week but more often preferred. It ended up being the start of my turnaround.
I also began using a syringe and catheter to flush out affected male pouches with new, fresh saltwater, matching the temperature, s.g. and pH of the tank water. I usually flushed what would be the equivalent of about 10 volumes of the pouch affected.
This coupled with the more extreme husbandry seemed to solve my problems that way.
Unfortunately, there are NO test kits available to the hobbyists that can tell you when the water quality is deteriorating with respect to making it more ideal for nasty bacteria to take over, so preventative steps are my solution to the problem. It's an ongoing task but skipping chores once in awhile still can lead to deterioration over a longer period of time so that once a problem does surface, you often don't remember those times and are looking for something much more recent to have been the cause.
Basically, cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to a seahorse tank.
I wouldn't be paying someone to come to help you as the chances of someone being knowledgeable enough are not high, with many thinking they know but in fact don't.
In addition to posting here, you should take advantage of a couple of sites that are best known for helping seahorse keepers.
www.fusedjaw.com and check out the articles there.
http://seahorsesource.com/?page_id=781 and click on the various articles there.
Thank you for the reply I will put these suggestions into action

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I second everything rayjay posted. I too have had some problems but the twice a week blasting the rockwork with a turkey baster and then syphoning out the detritus and debris along with doing significant water changes 3Xs a week has kept my seahorses in good health.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I second everything rayjay posted. I too have had some problems but the twice a week blasting the rockwork with a turkey baster and then syphoning out the detritus and debris along with doing significant water changes 3Xs a week has kept my seahorses in good health.
Thank you for the reply I will start blowing of rock 2 times a week instead of one I am currently doing 10% water changes twice a week I will up it to three how much do you change at a time and do you have bare bottom or live rock or sand. I have a fair mount of live rock which I am currently looking for a bigger sump to move most if nor all the rock into

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest that in view of a problem seahorse, the display tank will need some very large water changes over the next week or two to restore water quality somewhat.
50% now and every 5-7 days for 3 changes should help a lot.
After that, I'd recommend doing at least 30% once a week but probably 5-10% in addition (when NOT doing the water change) each time you blow off the rock and siphoning out the settlement. Remember too to clean all mechanical filter material each time.
I moved my live rock to the sumps years ago, not just to aid in keeping the tank clean, but to be able to see the seahorses easier as they tended to go out of sight too often when rocks were in the tank.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest that in view of a problem seahorse, the display tank will need some very large water changes over the next week or two to restore water quality somewhat.
50% now and every 5-7 days for 3 changes should help a lot.
After that, I'd recommend doing at least 30% once a week but probably 5-10% in addition (when NOT doing the water change) each time you blow off the rock and siphoning out the settlement. Remember too to clean all mechanical filter material each time.
I moved my live rock to the sumps years ago, not just to aid in keeping the tank clean, but to be able to see the seahorses easier as they tended to go out of sight too often when rocks were in the tank.
OK will do thank you I did a diamox pouch flush and left some in as that was suggested by ocean ryder. Charlie (seahorse) dumped it out of his pouch within 24 hours I was also told I could ingect mysis with the diomax solution and feed them to Charlie but I was not told the mixing directions are you familur with that method

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not injected diamox to a seahorse or it's food so I can't help you there.
If I had to do it I'd probably use the pouch flush solution of 62.5mg per cup of water.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to do it I'd probably use the pouch flush solution of 62.5mg per cup of water.
ok thank you
ok thank you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back