Sealing Inside A Finished Stand

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Marineland Monterey high end stand for my 180. It's the one with the plywood top.

Anyhow, I wanted to seal the inside of the stand without paint. It's obviously a finished stand, but would like to prevent water damage as best I can.

Is there some clear spray-on silicone or something similar I can use? This is going over whatever paint Marineland used on the stand. The exterior of the stand is gorgeous. It's smooth and finished nicely. However, the interior looks like very porous wood. I would like to spray the entire inside so water CANNOT get to the wood... EVER.

Also, I've heard shower pans mentioned for the sump. Every pan from Home Depot has drain holes in it. What would be a recommended 48" long flexible pan without holes?

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sealed my stand with a brown marine lacquer and it stops water from seeping into the wood 100%. They sell clear lacquer as well if you are looking to clear coat the stand. Shower pans definitely look nicer but a shallow rubbermaid tub to set the sump in worked well for me.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sealed my stand with a brown marine lacquer and it stops water from seeping into the wood 100%. They sell clear lacquer as well if you are looking to clear coat the stand. Shower pans definitely look nicer but a shallow rubbermaid tub to set the sump in worked well for me.

Do they make a spray version of it? The tank is already on the stand and being I'm disabled with a broken back, it's tough for me to get under the stand for extended periods of time.

I was just looking for some type of spray on solution, that's clear, that will prevent ANY moisture from reaching the wood.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make a spray version of it? The tank is already on the stand and being I'm disabled with a broken back, it's tough for me to get under the stand for extended periods of time.

I was just looking for some type of spray on solution, that's clear, that will prevent ANY moisture from reaching the wood.
In that case I would think Krylon Fusion spray paint would be your best bet. I know a lot of people use it on submerged parts in their reefs without any issue so it should be pretty water proof.

Edit: I know you said you don't want to use paint but any clear acrylic or enamel based spray paint will seal it from humidity/water spills and it will basically just make the inside appear glossy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I would think Krylon Fusion spray paint would be your best bet. I know a lot of people use it on submerged parts in their reefs without any issue so it should be pretty water proof.

Edit: I know you said you don't want to use paint but any clear acrylic or enamel based spray paint will seal it from humidity/water spills and it will basically just make the inside appear glossy.

Is that the same thing as clear coat? Because I've seen a lot of clear coats that are polyurethane, and others on the forum say polyurethane doesn't work well for long lasting.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my shower line from lowe’s And it worked well.
Could you please provide a link? Because I think I may be looking for the wrong thing. Everything I find is a basin with a drain hole, so any spills would go through the hole to the stand.

I also have 48x24 of neoprene I got from BRS, but that's just to stabilize the sump.

Reef Monkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the same thing as clear coat? Because I've seen a lot of clear coats that are polyurethane, and others on the forum say polyurethane doesn't work well for long lasting.

From what I understand the issues with polyurethane are UV damage over time and delamination if a too thick layer is used, other than that it is one of the harder varnishes with one of the best waterproofing properties. I used PU varnish on the plywood top of my stand and it has lasted almost 7 years already, but I used a thin layer of two coats. Some PU varnishes contain pigments or other additives to prevent UV damage. The other 'hard' varnishes with decent properties are based on alkyds which are chemically altered vegetable oils. Higher quality (and more expensive) exterior varnishes based upon alkyds contain UV protective additives.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's similar but it is not polyurethane. It is an acrylic based spray paint that a lot of people use to paint submerged products. It is probably as waterproof as you can get with an aerosol product that will coat evenly. Most waterproofing products are too thick to spray on from my experience (you'd need a high pressure paint gun).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back