Sealing old overflow holes

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've removed one of the overflows in a 120 I recently got. The tank is going to be laid out like a peninsula so no need for these 2 holes now. Ive got to look around for a local glass shop and see what it will cost to get them to cut me a chunk of 3/8" glass to cover them.

But I was also wondering has anyone had long term success just sealing them with bulkheads? Plug in the bulkhead on the top side and a cap on the bottom is what I was thinking may work as well.

20221210_180232.jpg 20221210_180457.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Both ideas would work, but I would probably go with a piece of glass and silicone. Clean it so there is no residue and use a quality silicone.
I used a bulkhead fitting and a plug to seal a hole in a tank in the past. I had the tank for about 5 years before selling it and it was still holding. But there was always clearance issues on the outside part of the bulkhead.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both options would work very well. Properly done you should have no problems. Clean the seal area very carefully before sealing the bulkhead or glass.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good plan. I would use two pieces of glass. One inside the tank and if there is room so that it does not create pressure on the glass from the stand add a second on the outside of the tank. I would also fill in the holes a little with silicone.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ideas would work, but I would probably go with a piece of glass and silicone. Clean it so there is no residue and use a quality silicone.
I used a bulkhead fitting and a plug to seal a hole in a tank in the past. I had the tank for about 5 years before selling it and it was still holding. But there was always clearance issues on the outside part of the bulkhead.

Both options would work very well. Properly done you should have no problems. Clean the seal area very carefully before sealing the bulkhead or glass.

Thanks guys thats the confirmation I needed going to see what the glass shop will cost and weigh that against using what I already have to seal it up. Cheers!

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my acrylic tank, I sealed up the holes for my closed loop with bulkheads for a few years without issue. I've since sealed them with acrylic squares. Less hassle. Go with sealing them up with glass and silicone.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get glass shops to sell me scraps for cheap..If not then maybe home depot will be cheaper. The glass you want to install should not have to be very large...
My local home depot does not carry thick enough glass sadly. Already checked on that.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used threaded bulkheads and siliconed them in. Then I used threaded PVC caps and glued them in. This way if I ever decided to use the holes I'd be able to. Over a year now and never a drop has come from them. You can kinda seem them in the far corner in this picture. There might be a better picture on my build thread.

IMG_0306.jpg

TriggerCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use bulkheads. Never know when you might want to change it up. Or maybe use them as part of a closed loop set up.
That's a GREAT idea!! I am upgrading from my 75 and getting a used 180 in about two weeks. Looking to get rid of the bottom drilled holes and drill and install an external overflow myself. I do use and love closed loops to get around all of the rock work. Back to the planning board and store for more plumbing parts now. ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back