Seasoned fw but new reef keeper question

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research, it seems that it doesn't take very long for this to kill it's host.

My Molly has looked like this for a little while. I think it might be worse now, but at first I thought the white patch was just a color variation.

Would that change you thoughts on it being Brook? Should I get another Molly that is healthy looking to verify this and treat them both?

I wouldn’t put another molly through this. Just because it hasn’t killed the molly yet doesn’t mean it’s not brook. I would set up a QT and move forward with a fallow period.
Did you acclimate this molly to SW or was it in SW at the LFS?
At the end of the day do you want to put a pair of clowns into a tank that Might have brook? That could be an expensive gamble.

OP
OP
A

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put another molly through this. Just because it hasn’t killed the molly yet doesn’t mean it’s not brook. I would set up a QT and move forward with a fallow period.
It was in SW at the LFS and it was the last one they had so I'm sure it had been in there a while.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in SW at the LFS and it was the last one they had so I'm sure it had been in there a while.

Ok, depending on the meds they keep in the water it may have built up a resistance to it or it may have brought it into your tank then. The black molly trick is when you acclimate a FW molly to SW because then it cannot be carrying a SW parasite

OP
OP
A

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day do you want to put a pair of clowns into a tank that Might have brook? That could be an expensive gamble.
I absolutely agree. I will be setting up a quarantine tank regardless of this outcome and using it during the fallow period in my dt.
Now the question is how do I treat the Molly, or is it too far gone and I need to euthanize? I waited for my tank to cycle before adding a Molly as I'm not in to sacrificial fish.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree. I will be setting up a quarantine tank regardless of this outcome and using it during the fallow period in my dt.
Now the question is how do I treat the Molly, or is it too far gone and I need to euthanize? I waited for my tank to cycle before adding a Molly as I'm not in to sacrificial fish.

If you want to treat him I would put him into a QT and dose 2 scoops of seachem Metro for every 10 Gallons. When he comes out of the DT tank I would do a 5 min FW dip before going into QT.

. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

OP
OP
A

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to treat him I would put him into a QT and dose 2 scoops of seachem Metro for every 10 Gallons. When he comes out of the DT tank I would do a 5 min FW dip before going into QT.

. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/
Is there any reason I shouldn't do that with qt clowns every time as well? Looking to the future, does it make sense to qt any fish I bring in and do a broad spectrum treatment to help them start healthy?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason I shouldn't do that with qt clowns every time as well? Looking to the future, does it make sense to qt any fish I bring in and do a broad spectrum treatment to help them start healthy?

Yes, the majority of us QT now and run copper, metro, etc to cover the major parasites.

OP
OP
A

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the majority of us QT now and run copper, metro, etc to cover the major parasites.
According to seachem, they recommend paraguard. Is one better than the other? I ask because lab tests and real world experience often differ.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to seachem, they recommend paraguard. Is one better than the other? I ask because lab tests and real world experience often differ.

Most of use Metro I believe. The upside is metro is also used for internal parasites also.

OP
OP
A

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of use Metro I believe. The upside is metro is also used for internal parasites also.
You guys are so awesome. I'm putting together a list of stuff and should have it up and running by Saturday. Thanks so much for the help!

OP
OP
A

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Sorry about your first SW experience :(
No worries at all. With my cycle finishing within a week on my first SW setup (lots of die off from live rock) I was thinking this is going a bit too smoothly. Smooth seas never made for good sailors right?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back