Second - Fish Only tank. Am I crazy?

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my first tank set up for about 6 months now and it's going well - here's the thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-evo-first-saltwater-tank.979291/

A few days ago I picked up an IM peninsula 20 for cheap with all the gear I need to set up a second tank. I have some ich in my main tank and if I need to pull these guys out to treat w/ copper I can use this.

It's in my office so would be cool to leave set up permanently but I don't need to go full on reef tank for this one yet.

Can someone tell me if this plan is crazy?

Cycle the IM using some water and a little extra media from the Fluval DT- maybe marinepure gems. Add new bio-balls to second tank as well for bacteria later. Pull gems out after a week or so, could absorb copper. No sand, no live rock, no chemical media when treating. Only PVC or plastic decorations.

Move the fish to the IM20, leave the DT fallow for 76 days. Treat w/ cupramine, pull copper out w/ cupisorb.

Move fish back to DT after treatment/fallow period.

Am I correct thinking I am good to go with this tank after that? Add rest of your filtration media, and run it as a fish only tank using just the bio balls in place of live rock?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my first tank set up for about 6 months now and it's going well - here's the thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-evo-first-saltwater-tank.979291/

A few days ago I picked up an IM peninsula 20 for cheap with all the gear I need to set up a second tank. I have some ich in my main tank and if I need to pull these guys out to treat w/ copper I can use this.

It's in my office so would be cool to leave set up permanently but I don't need to go full on reef tank for this one yet.

Can someone tell me if this plan is crazy?

Cycle the IM using some water and a little extra media from the Fluval DT- maybe marinepure gems. Add new bio-balls to second tank as well for bacteria later. Pull gems out after a week or so, could absorb copper. No sand, no live rock, no chemical media when treating. Only PVC or plastic decorations.

Move the fish to the IM20, leave the DT fallow for 76 days. Treat w/ cupramine, pull copper out w/ cupisorb.

Move fish back to DT after treatment/fallow period.

Am I correct thinking I am good to go with this tank after that? Add rest of your filtration media, and run it as a fish only tank using just the bio balls in place of live rock?
Looking at the fish you have in your tank, if you keep them well fed and keep their immune systems strong, you will likely find you didn’t need a QT tank. All tanks IMO have ich and unless you plan to QT coral, fish and inverts that enter the tank you’ll likely find you’ll still have it in the tank.

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the fish you have in your tank, if you keep them well fed and keep their immune systems strong, you will likely find you didn’t need a QT tank. All tanks IMO have ich and unless you plan to QT coral, fish and inverts that enter the tank you’ll likely find you’ll still have it in the tank.
That makes sense. I kind of just want a second tank in my office though, and if its able to serve double duty as a QT tank by being fish only, might be cool.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok glad I asked - makes sense.
Can easily just mix up some water and set up a new tank.
Bio-spira/live sand works great for insta-cycling. You may want a super cheap tank for QT (so you don't have copper introduced to the IM).

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are only crazy for believing it will remain fish only. Here is my "fish only nano sanctuary" for a mean clown.

PXL_20230501_062031388~2.jpg

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are only crazy for believing it will remain fish only. Here is my "fish only nano sanctuary" for a mean clown.

PXL_20230501_062031388~2.jpg
You're not wrong... I have gotten far more into this than expected. The issue is an imminent move in the next couple of years so two packed reef tanks will make that harder. Just the Evo should be ok, but we'll see how it goes!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other.

Back