Second hand apex a2 (orp/ph/salinity) or new A3?

discostew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

deciding between a new A3 (with optical sensor and leak detection) ($600) vs a used a2 that has the orp/ph/salinity. ($300)This would be my first controller. I would need to buy the leak probes and fmm modules so $450 for second option.
Would i be better off getting the newer version for the $150 difference? Haven’t been able to compare the two. I k kw the a3 has the fmm ports already.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run the classic some 10 years later. Not worth it to buy a new in my eyes(not really interested in the trident which is basically the only thing I currently can't use with the classic). Nothing is really new in it, other then some added ports.

Only thing to consider when buying used, is make sure the previous owner unlinks it from their account.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey all,

deciding between a new A3 (with optical sensor and leak detection) ($600) vs a used a2 that has the orp/ph/salinity. ($300)This would be my first controller. I would need to buy the leak probes and fmm modules so $450 for second option.
Would i be better off getting the newer version for the $150 difference? Haven’t been able to compare the two. I k kw the a3 has the fmm ports already.
in the end the a2+fmm offers more options than A3, depending on which A3 you're getting. the $600 one only comes with 3 ports, the fmm comes with 4 ports and an option for a 24v plug like a pmup or solenoid.
for A2 there are 2 versions the Full and the EL. the EL has the basic temp, i/o, and pH. The Full comes with an additional ph/orp, 4 variable speed controls, and a salinity port.

A2 ELA2 FullA3 Base (not jr, not full)
Base PHxxx
Tempxxx
I/Oxxx
Additional pHx
4 Variable Speed Portsx
Salinity Portsx
3 FMM portsx

I like my A2, I don't plan on upgrading to an A3 in the near future. I don't think they're making anything right now for the A3s that wouldn't be compatible with the A2, though I guess moving forward that might be inevitable.

I'd go with the A2+the fmm module.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of this past Wednesday I just upgraded to the A3 from the classic so I say get the A3! If your going to put the money into it, go new. Your going to want to upgrade as you thrive in the hobby. If you buy the used one and then upgrade in the future you'll be out $900 when you upgrade. Neptune is constantly making cool new stuff which eventually won't be compatible with older models. If you put that $300 of the cost for the used one to the A3 you only need $300 more! DO IT! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never a fan of buying anything used, I'm afraid of spending my money on used items and having them break on me.
Like ScubaShane mentioned above, as you start thriving in this hobby, you'll want more options.
I would buy the newer model.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A3 is just an A2 with an FMM built in. Thats it.

I just got an A3 for my new tank and run a second hand A2 currently. That A2 head unit replaced an apex classic head unit because I wanted wifi on it. All the other stuff is still old gear.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way i would pay full price for an apex. I have an EL and a ton of extras that i got from a local for $300. Never would i pay $800+ for it. I would just do without an Apex at that point.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Buy the used and add on what you want. The A3 is missing some things the A2 has.

Also careful with buying everything apex. Some of the addons are not very good for the price. Some do the reviews on BRS show it with low star ratings even.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back