See anything??

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo I once upon n a time had a pretty large colony of eagle eye zoas and noticed the colony getting smaller and smaller.. I am a zoaholic soooo I have several polyps that are expensive that I do not want this happening to..
can you see anything in the pictures that would be eating this one colony of zoas? I have noticed here and there on my others.... again I mean like two or three other frags out of at least 20-30 types.. that have the hydroids that are hard around them but not covered. As you see in the pic I scraped a couple off this one and left a couple.. so please help!!

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is a nice measuring cup :rolleyes:
I'm afraid that how you describe the ongoing problems that you have a nudi in your tank.
Sometimes very hard to see.
Now on the other hand are you sure your pretty zoa's aren't melting?

#reefsquad

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see is a nice measuring cup :rolleyes:
I'm afraid that how you describe the ongoing problems that you have a nudi in your tank.
Sometimes very hard to see.
Now on the other hand are you sure your pretty zoa's aren't melting?

#reefsquad
When you say getting smaller and smaller, what do you mean? Polyps disappearing or shrinking in size?
I'm not really seeing anything out of the ordinary in the pictures above, but perhaps the link below will help.

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

Literally disappearing

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally disappearing

Ouch :(
Is it possible to place the frags on a frag rack on the glass after dipping them in Bayer?
What kind of fishies you have swimming?

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch :(
Is it possible to place the frags on a frag rack on the glass after dipping them in Bayer?
What kind of fishies you have swimming?
I have three clowns a Midas blenny a molly miller 6 line wrasse, a yellow tang and a bristle tooth tang.. a Bangui cardinal and one damsel.. and my cuc.. I have no idea what it could be.. maybe since I cleaned it all really good the polyps will quit disappearing.. strange thing is they are open..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Bristle tooth you have, Tomini, two spot, Kole, Squaretail or the blue eye?

And now they are open again you said?
Maybe it's not a bristle lol here are some pics.. they never closed just went missing.. the circled one is the one I am referring to.. it used to be completely covered.. I will take pics again when everything opens up better.. and my tangs.. the yellow and the other one is grey with a orange circle around his eye.. I know usually these tangs don't get along.. but mine as you see are best buddies:)

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Tomini Tang.

Coming back to the zoa's.
Is it possible that it just fell off the plug or a powerhead blew it off?
Was it just missing from one moment to the other?
What all you have in your CUC?

Hey young Lady that is a pretty awesome tank :)

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Tomini Tang.

Coming back to the zoa's.
Is it possible that it just fell off the plug or a powerhead blew it off?
Was it just missing from one moment to the other?
What all you have in your CUC?

Hey young Lady that is a pretty awesome tank :)

Really?? That's a major compliment coming from you:) thank you.. I hate it lol I want a 100 wife and just can't afford it.. but anyway.. back to my cuc
1 coral banded shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Sally light foot crab
1 violet spotted lobster
Several of each
Nassarious snails
Trochous snails
Turbo snail
Bumble bee snails
Hermit crab (red and blue)
Pistol shrimp
Star fish

Also on fish I have:
Watchmen goby
Bar goby

On the zoas.. no.. I actually just moved them to that spot.. they were on another rock with a bigger rock behind it so flow wasn't a problem:. It's like they just desinigrated

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?? That's a major compliment coming from you:) thank you.. I hate it lol I want a 100 wife and just can't afford it.. but anyway.. back to my cuc
1 coral banded shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Sally light foot crab
1 violet spotted lobster
Several of each
Nassarious snails
Trochous snails
Turbo snail
Bumble bee snails
Hermit crab (red and blue)
Pistol shrimp
Star fish

Also on fish I have:
Watchmen goby
Bar goby

On the zoas.. no.. I actually just moved them to that spot.. they were on another rock with a bigger rock behind it so flow wasn't a problem:. It's like they just desinigrated

Nope I don't see anything on that list either other than the Hermit that can bother corals as the crawl over and under to go after food.
Your Sally or Mrs Violet should be not a problem either but can go after small fish when the reach a good size over time.
Almost positive that your Zoa's somewhere between or behind the rocks as it just blew off.
Just keep a eye on the rest and look during the night time if you can stay up :rolleyes: with a small flashlight over the corals and rock if you can find something unusual, prefer a blue or red flash light.
You missed the free give-away from Diesel over Christmas from the Orphek lights ;)

Now tell me what is a 100 wife? :eek:

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I don't see anything on that list either other than the Hermit that can bother corals as the crawl over and under to go after food.
Your Sally or Mrs Violet should be not a problem either but can go after small fish when the reach a good size over time.
Almost positive that your Zoa's somewhere between or behind the rocks as it just blew off.
Just keep a eye on the rest and look during the night time if you can stay up :rolleyes: with a small flashlight over the corals and rock if you can find something unusual, prefer a blue or red flash light.
You missed the free give-away from Diesel over Christmas from the Orphek lights ;)

Now tell me what is a 100 wife? :eek:

Yes just my luck lol and I meant wide.. thank you iPhone

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just my luck lol and I meant wide.. thank you iPhone

LOL, who would know :rolleyes:
Well, your glass box is looking good though as I said before and I think if you make it your own and get all these nice frags growing maybe you can unload a bunch of frags down the road and pay yourself into a upgrade.
Some ppl have done that as I know a few.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. A had a bunch of zoa colonies and for some reason my expensive ones kept getting smaller and smaller. I tried everything.... One day while I was sitting in front of my tank coming to terms that they're all just melting and don't like my husbandry, I saw something brown slowly moving on top of one of my sunny D polyps and saw it close really fast. When I got close to look at it I saw what looked like a nudibranch. I looked them up online and it was a zoa eating nudibranch! After that, I noticed more and more once I knew what to look for. I even found eggs on a few zoa frags.

Not saying that's what you have but I would turn as many frags as you can over and check the bottoms. They like to hang out under the frag or rock they're growing on. I found them most active out and about first thing in the morning while it's dark.

Use a flashlight to check your zoas in the morning.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that an LED flashlight works best. They flouresce green or red. It was almost like they matched the color of the zoa they were eating so they were camouflage. They can look just like the skirt of the zoa.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, who would know :rolleyes:
Well, your glass box is looking good though as I said before and I think if you make it your own and get all these nice frags growing maybe you can unload a bunch of frags down the road and pay yourself into a upgrade.
Some ppl have done that as I know a few.
Great idea:) I know I have zero sticks but I'm more of a zoa freak.. as you can see lol

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. A had a bunch of zoa colonies and for some reason my expensive ones kept getting smaller and smaller. I tried everything.... One day while I was sitting in front of my tank coming to terms that they're all just melting and don't like my husbandry, I saw something brown slowly moving on top of one of my sunny D polyps and saw it close really fast. When I got close to look at it I saw what looked like a nudibranch. I looked them up online and it was a zoa eating nudibranch! After that, I noticed more and more once I knew what to look for. I even found eggs on a few zoa frags.

Not saying that's what you have but I would turn as many frags as you can over and check the bottoms. They like to hang out under the frag or rock they're growing on. I found them most active out and about first thing in the morning while it's dark.

Use a flashlight to check your zoas in the morning.
I would die if I saw that.. I am OCD about my tank.. I want zero algae although it's impossible and zero worms and such.. no matter how good they are.. I can't stand it.. it's like a maggot.. shivers..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%

Back