Seed Rock has Vermatid - Help

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some seed rock from a buddy of mine. It’s sitting in a bucket with water. I got it home and inspected it before deciding whether to qt it or add it to my sump. That rock 100% has Vermatid snails. Is there anyway to get some bacteria without the snails? Maybe a 5 micron sock? I don’t want to risk it if it’s sketchy. Seed rock is pukani and my ghost feeding started yesterday.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use it at all. You will get non-cycling bacteria from corals, snails, fish, etc.

I should make it clear that I wish to wipe vermatids from the face of the earth so I might be biased

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To directly answer your question No ..

There's no way to get all of the benefits of that rock with zero risk of transferring the snails.. pukani especially has So many holes and caverns that Vermited snails will be occupying..

If I was dead set on using that rock it would be a year's long process of eradicating it before it went into my main system.

With that being said I already have reminded snails in my main system and frag system and they are not the apocalypse.

I would not choose to bring them in.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I ******* hate Vermetid snails and I have a **** ton of ******* coral in a tank that I want to transfer to my brand new tank but I have to QT every single ******* one of them or sell the ones I can’t QT because I have vermetids on every square inch of my rock and it all started with 1 that I didn’t notice on a clam about 2 years ago so trust me bro don’t even risk getting corals from your buddy without QTing it or your going to to be in the same place as me a year from now
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I ******* hate Vermetid snails and I have a **** ton of ******* coral in a tank that I want to transfer to my brand new tank but I have to QT every single ******* one of them or sell the ones I can’t QT because I have vermetids on every square inch of my rock and it all started with 1 that I didn’t notice on a clam about 2 years ago so trust me bro don’t even risk getting corals from your buddy without QTing it or your going to to be in the same place as me a year from now
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Impressive

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Wow thats gross

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Know this song and dance all too well. Only thing we can do is nuke it upon first site. Honestly if we don't deal with the issue right then and there this is what happens. And the really only "sure fire" way of removing them is via manual removal once they are established.

Don't buy into the hype of bumble bee snails, crabs, or some wrasses (although they may swoop in and eat pieces of worms that you destroyed) because all searches and research return us to no natural predators in home aquaria. I do have one side that is more clear that a urchin hangs out on but I don't think it is responsible for managing nor have I read any papers on it.

Really anytime you see one nuke it from space. Don't pass go. Don't get an adult beverage. Nuke it.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Holy smoke. I think some bumblebee snails should be your next purchase

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks more like tube worms but way too many

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YMMV but bumblebee snails did the trick for me. I had a relatively minor infestation and they are completely gone. That being said, it would have been ideal if they were never introduced in the first place. I personally would advise you to look elsewhere for rock.

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this song and dance all too well. Only thing we can do is nuke it upon first site. Honestly if we don't deal with the issue right then and there this is what happens. And the really only "sure fire" way of removing them is via manual removal once they are established.

Don't buy into the hype of bumble bee snails, crabs, or some wrasses (although they may swoop in and eat pieces of worms that you destroyed) because all searches and research return us to no natural predators in home aquaria. I do have one side that is more clear that a urchin hangs out on but I don't think it is responsible for managing nor have I read any papers on it.

Really anytime you see one nuke it from space. Don't pass go. Don't get an adult beverage. Nuke it.
So true! for me I didn’t care that much I was going to take it off the clam “then next time I put my hands in the tank”
And I I think it was a week later I removed it then I saw two more weeks later pop up in the tank and I kept at it for a good while and even got a **** ton of bumblebee snails and clearly that worked , but my new tank I’m going to QT every coral to prevent that exact pest.

image.jpg

here’s my new tank I’m almost finished with. Not going to let any pest like that come into my life again,.

0E03A081-8487-43B2-8754-37AC9A4C5ED6.jpeg

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smoke. I think some bumblebee snails should be your next purchase

if only they worked I got 20 of them and they seem to work at first but eventually they lost their appetite for vermetid I guess idk had more and more verms grow and the bumblebee died off at first I was replacing them but gave up as I didn’t really see them doing anything.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of snails. I have some vermatid but they seem to not be as prolific and just get bigger vs multiplying. Not even sure how I got them.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. So my plan is to use some kp aquatics Rock in the future but quarantine it with lights, temp, flow still. Then add it once I’m happy with it. What would be a good option to seed until then? I could care less for bottle bac. I’m in no rush, I want everything ready before I add fish. I’m currently saving for T5 lights, icecap gyres, coral qt lights, then kp Rock, and finally fish lol. So we’re talking months before kp rock and fish. Just fed the tank 3 pinches of ground up pellets, a few oz of old phyto, and a block of frozen mysis yesterday.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back