Seeding coralline algae in reef tank?

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but my question is.........I have a bottle of coralline algae spores coming to seed my tank from "ADDICTIVE REEF KEEPING" online ....when i plan to seed my tank do i need to remove any of my carbon or should i turn my protein skimmer off for a certain amount of time does the skimmer remove what i am going to put in any advice would be appreciated thanks

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do both for a couple of days just to maximize the amount of spores that can attach and colonize. Just a personal opinion. I've never used bottled coraline. All of mine cane from critters or live rock.

Welcome to R2R by the way.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do both for a couple of days just to maximize the amount of spores that can attach and colonize. Just a personal opinion. I've never used bottled coraline. All of mine cane from critters or live rock.

thanks for the input i was figuring i would have to do that for a day or 2 just wanted to make sure I'm semi new to reefing i did it years ago when i was younger but everything has changed so dramatically in the past years I've noticed!!!in use chemi pure elite with carbon and the ferric oxide so I'm going to remove the bags this will lead me no protection against phosphates for a couple days can i put a small bag of phosguard in place of the chemo pure just so my phosphates magically jump for not having anything to remove it for a couple days?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you feed lightly for a couple of days, it shouldn't have a major impact.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeding for coraline algae. Seems crazy to me. I have so much growing everywhere. I would pay to get ride of it, not pay to get more
i have a lot of dry rock for base in my tank and i have some carrabiasea life rock i literally only have 2 small pieces of true live fiji rock with coraline algae on it did not want take the chance of adding any unwanted pest or parasite to my new set up....i just bought some coraline algae in a bottle to help seed little my tank is only 4 months old almost 5 now and it was the next step i wanted to focus on

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

im gonna take the advice and just feed lightly and remove all carbon and stop skimmer for a day or 2 thank you just wanted little input

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna take the advice and just feed lightly and remove all carbon and stop skimmer for a day or 2 thank you just wanted little input

The skimming stop seems useful. The others are unlikely to be significant, IMO.

In any case, not that much will happen in 2 days of missing the media. :)

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimming stop seems useful. The others are unlikely to be significant, IMO.

In any case, not that much will happen in 2 days of missing the media. :)
cool so media i can just keep in? Just stop the skimming correct? I see that you live about 45 mins away from me nice to see someone close to me what fish stores do u recommend around here? everyone near me closed.... fishy Frags , natures hideout, reef junkiez the only decent place is tropical isle , creatures in north smithfield is a joke almost as bad as petco!
little off topic but gotta ask

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No skimming for 72 hours and remove carbon for same period and then restore both.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful what you wish for.

B0D6044E-84AA-4757-90B9-B03DDAFA5ADD.jpeg

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol coralline is like the Moby Dick of reefing. You want it and want it and want it and will do anything to get it. But watch out....

Took me two years for it to start growing. Got snails and rocks with it on them, but it never took off. And then one day, it took off.

Must be something interesting going on there.

I agree that turning off the skimmer is a good move. I don’t think the media has much effect either way. Spores are way bigger than the stuff carbon and whatnot grabs.

Good luck.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gives coralline faster, assuming water is ok/ready for it.
Any precautions or use suggestions should be on the bottle directions.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful what you wish for...
23caf57e-7cb3-49be-8f52-aaa35a1747af-jpeg.1659322
For a brief moment I thought that was a photo of my tank, but your stand looks nicer and the coral doesn't match.

I can't seem to get it well established on my rocks, but it sure covers the glass.

As for the OP, you mention concerns over removing GFO. Do you have a test result that says your phosphates are too high, or are you assuming that?

I ask because while it's going to be heavily dependent on the history of your rock, I've had dry starts that were high, and other dry starts that were nearly devoid of phosphate.

Better to test and adjust, otherwise you might go the wrong direction and end up with a dino bloom.
Even if they are high, I second the observation that a couple days won't matter.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but my question is.........I have a bottle of coralline algae spores coming to seed my tank from "ADDICTIVE REEF KEEPING" online ....when i plan to seed my tank do i need to remove any of my carbon or should i turn my protein skimmer off for a certain amount of time does the skimmer remove what i am going to put in any advice would be appreciated thanks

I would follow the directions on the bottle. They usually say if its needed or not - I used a product - I did not need to change anything - and have plenty of corraline algae

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back