Seeding media for pico QT

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Australian live rock is almost done curing for my 3g pico jar, rock and tank can be seen here:

I'm using a small canister filter for flow/heat, it holds exactly 1 liter of water without media:

Zoo Med Nano 10 External Canister Filter, up to 10 Gallon

I've been running it empty to maximize flow and reduce the amount of cleaning required, but now Ive been thinking that perhaps I should put the filter sponge or ceramic rings back in and then use that to set up a 1-2 gallon qt jar for coral/inverts?

The canister filter is fairly small, but I can take out the divider and put whatever I want in there, currently just running a tiny bag of carbon for experimentation.

Here's what comes with the filter, I'm more than willing to buy some other media if this isn't ideal:

PXL_20220316_071856194.jpg

Does this sound like a reasonable way to create an instant cycle qt if it's only a couple of gallons? If so, what media would be ideal for seeding in the canister?

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually after some quick research, I think it'll be faster to just buy some turbo start 9000 and throw it in the jar with a bag of ceramic media and an air stone. Again, only for inverts and coral

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back