Seeking Feedback on Weekly Maintenance

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m still new to Reef2Reef and this is my first thread, but I’m looking for some feedback on my aquarium maintenance routine. Any advice, critiques, and general feedback is welcome.

First I’ll state my tank specifications:

Tank: 20 gallon Nuvo Fusion with stock return pump

Filtration: stock media basket with chemipure, Phosguard, and Purigen with Intank filter floss. In the second compartment I’m just utilizing the stock filter sock. I also have a Phosban 150 media reactor tumbling Seagel. The pump to the media reactor is in the back compartment next to the filter sock and the return is attached to one of the output nozzles. I’m also utilizing a ReefOctopus classic hang on the back 90 protein skimmer (definitely very large for my aquarium, but it is working well).

Flow: I’m utilizing a Jebao OW? (I’m not for certain the specifics of the wave-maker but I have to run it on low or else it’s like a hurricane running through my tank).

Lighting: RedSea ReefLED 50

Salt mix: Reef Crystals

Marine life: two clownfish, one lawnmower blenny, a small colony of gsp (isolated), a torch frag, a nepthia coral frag, and a small pink birds-nest frag.

...and now to my weekly maintenance...

Every month I calibrate my test kits and check ammonia (Red Sea test), phosphate (ULR Hannah instruments), calcium (Hannah), and nitrate and nitrite (API). I also change out all of the filter media.

Every Sunday I do a water change of 3 gallons, clean the glass, change out the filter floss and filter sock. I also add a very small scoop of Red Sea’s Skeletal Foundation Elements supplement.

Every morning I top up my aquarium with distilled water and check the salinity with a Hannah instrument digital salinity tester. I also feed the fish daily.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Anything will help.

Thanks,

Jon

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kit wise I would start doing the following
No point in checking nitrites as they are far less toxic in saltwater.
I would start checking Alkalinity regularly as this is the first to start depleting once coral/Coraline growth takes off.
I would check magnesium fairly regularly (i do about once a month)

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a good system in place. Are you asking because something has gone wrong or just out of curiosity?
Just out of curiosity! My aquarium has been up and running several months now! I added the birds nest and nepthia two weeks ago and the bleeny three. I’m just seeking “best practice” advice mainly.

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kit wise I would start doing the following
No point in checking nitrites as they are far less toxic in saltwater.
I would start checking Alkalinity regularly as this is the first to start depleting once coral/Coraline growth takes off.
I would check magnesium fairly regularly (i do about once a month)

I have the Hannah testkit for alkalinity coming as I type!

Suggestions for a good magnesium test kit?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back