Self leveling epoxy

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built my own stand and the top isn’t perfect perfect. There’s 1/16th gap in 2 spots after checking with a straight edge level after painting and poly. The tank is a 180 and I just want to do it as right as possible and not have to worry about it. If I pour self leveling epoxy to the top it’ll give me a perfectly level surface in all directions.

Is this much better than just using 1/2” foam board or do they both pretty much accomplish the same thing?

Curious how many people have used epoxy and if you liked it and would do it again or not. If it’s worth the cost and hassle etc.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built my own stand and the top isn’t perfect perfect. There’s 1/16th gap in 2 spots after checking with a straight edge level after painting and poly. The tank is a 180 and I just want to do it as right as possible and not have to worry about it. If I pour self leveling epoxy to the top it’ll give me a perfectly level surface in all directions.

Is this much better than just using 1/2” foam board or do they both pretty much accomplish the same thing?

Curious how many people have used epoxy and if you liked it and would do it again or not. If it’s worth the cost and hassle etc.

I would shim the stand and use foam. Not all tanks are recommended to use foam under them so check to see if yours should have it.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/16th" doesn't seem like a lot over a 6' span, but it would drive me crazy too. Is it a 180 with typical plastic frame? If so then just shim the gaps - DON'T over drive the shims or you'll make a high spot which is even worse. Just make'em snug. If it's a rimless tank then yes, 1/2" foam - you want to protect the bottom from pressure points as well as absorb that 1/16" difference.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, you could literally get it perfectly level. I'd still use foam as a cushion, as well.

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t too keen on shimming the tank and it was going to drive me nuts even that small 1/16 gap so I bought the epoxy and poured it last night. Really neat stuff and easy to do. Should have a perfectly level surface in all directions now.

The tank manufacturer said I could put foam under it. It is a rimmed aquarium. But their recommendation was to first do whatever necessary to make that top perfectly level.

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only took 1 and it was after I poured it. A couple stray hairs but a house with 3 cats and a dog it was bound to happen. Self leveling and poured a half gallon which gave me about 3/32 of coverage +- in the high and low spots.

56221521692__CB22968C-D33F-400C-9A82-D6ADD1895788.JPG

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only took 1 and it was after I poured it. A couple stray hairs but a house with 3 cats and a dog it was bound to happen. Self leveling and poured a half gallon which gave me about 3/32 of coverage +- in the high and low spots.

56221521692__CB22968C-D33F-400C-9A82-D6ADD1895788.JPG

Looks great.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next you can build yourself some awesome looking countertops.

I planed the bottom of my stand to level it so I didn’t have to shim it on my oak floors. Then on the top I wiped the perimeter where the rim sits with body filler and blocked it to perfect any gaps/dips. I guess old habits die hard after 25 years in the autobody industry...

Next time I’m gonna do what you did. I love playing with epoxy resin. You can do so much cool stuff with it.

Yoga mat works great and might be good for your application since your surface is already so smooth. I’ve got my 30 gal acrylic sump sitting on platform lined with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ares

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that looks awesome. Shame to cover it up!
My wife actually wants me to build a matching table to go under the TV in this room so I may get to use the other half gallon on that.

Next you can build yourself some awesome looking countertops
Yoga mat works great and might be good for your application since your surface is already so smooth. I’ve got my 30 gal acrylic sump sitting on platform lined with it.
I'll have to look into the yoga mat, not a bad idea.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife actually wants me to build a matching table to go under the TV in this room so I may get to use the other half gallon on that.

I'll have to look into the yoga mat, not a bad idea.

You can pour epoxy resin thick and it remains clear. I’ve seen people put all kinds of stuff in a table like your stand and pour up to several inches of epoxy over it to encapsulate whatever it is they’re trying to display. One I saw was filled with matchbox cars.

There’s varying thicknesses and densities of yoga mat available, plus they’re cheap. And if it’s going to be visible at all, which it looks like yours won’t be, it comes in a wide variety of colors.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back