Seneye … anyone ever seen one or used one ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree ..
but for what we need … we know we will have a acceptable range for ammonia which is not toxic .
do we really need to worry about the precise number this instrument gives ?
Nope. I don't think anyone in this thread said we do need one either. Just that there is value you can find in owning one.

I've become convinced that a simple Seachem ammonia alert tag should be the primary cycling test/tool recommended when cycling tanks. Why bother with anything else?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone please donate a
Seneye to @brandon429 so we can finally see a picture of his system .

with all the research and knowledge , I would assume somewhere close to the same size as @vetteguy53081 600 gal system
Some of you seem so bitter and unable to stay objective because why, you disagree with Brandon's hypotheses'?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone please donate a

with all the research and knowledge , I would assume somewhere close to the same size as @vetteguy53081 600 gal system

What does aquarium size have to do with research/knowledge?

It sure seems like you made this whole thread with the intent of crapping on one member, which is sad.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I own a senye and only use it for the par readings. It's pretty accurate with apogee.
IF you want proof, I can link posts between another users readings and my own.

For the rest of the features. I did not want to keep it plugged into a laptop near my aquarium. It must have access to the internet. So, that's really annoying. Seneye sells a monitor to go with the gadget. Thats another chunk of cash.
Does not have a wand arm, you'll need to make one yourself for that.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does aquarium size have to do with research/knowledge?

It sure seems like you made this whole thread with the intent of crapping on one member, which is sad.
That is not true or the intention at all .
information regarding the instrument questioned and whether it’s worth it or not. .
What it’s pros and cons of physically owning one vs research of what it’s supposed to do

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be interesting and informative to have an always on, real-time measurement of ammonia in my tank. I could monitor effects of adding or subtracting fish, over feeding etc and really start to understand the limits of my system...But the ongoing costs of slides makes it not worth that enlightenment.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not have a wand arm, you'll need to make one yourself for that.

Good point to raise.

If one has a 3d printer there are a few free options. Also PVC works which is the route I went.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you seem so bitter and unable to stay objective because why, you disagree with Brandon's hypotheses'?
If someone such as Brandon where has put the time to research many different topics including seneye , sand rinse , cycle science .. congrats and thanks for everything they are doing to help others .

but …. To preach everyone news this device to achieve proper readings “

how do we know this out of good faith and not just to up sell these devices to be gifted one for free ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone such as Brandon where has put the time to research many different topics including seneye , sand rinse , cycle science .. congrats and thanks for everything they are doing to help others .

but …. To preach everyone news this device to achieve proper readings “

how do we know this out of good faith and not just to up sell these devices to be gifted one for free ?

He is correct in that it seems the Seneye is the best tool out there for accurate NH3 measurements. I'm not sure I can find the post where he says we all need to go out and buy one. Re-read these first few sentences where he makes clear the recommendation for purchasing one or not, but also points out the value in owning one. This is exactly what you asked for in making this thread...

this is my take on seneye

I won't own one unless they donate me one for sending them about 600 new buyers lol

ammonia is predictable in all reef display settings all of the time, I wouldn't pay to own something that tells me a param I already know in my system or for someone else's cycling or tank transfer job

that being said, I really like when other people own them, set them up, and calibrate them/benchmark them as compared to non digital ammonia meters because in that data set new cycling science evolves

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if someone else says it, it won't seem as offensive.

Seneye isnt needed because once the tank is cycled, measuring ammonia has little to no value. But that's not to say there isn't any value at all, Seneye measurements could help further along cycling science and how we think ammonia is processed in our tanks. It's just not worth $600.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked into seneye for the PAR function, this time around with LEDS. I never bothered with such things with halides and mainly softies way back. General research indicated nobody actually knows what PAR is best, so ditched that idea. Winged it and seems to be OK :)

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone please donate a

He pico reefs and vase reefs I believe. He has posted pictures of his pico or picos. Supposedly he’s got one that’s been up and running for longer than 10 years.

there’s quite a few ways to reef. Not everyone has 30 grand to build a huge reef system like a lot of you guys on here. Sometimes I think you large reef guys don’t take any of the nano crowd seriously. Some of the nicest tanks I’ve ever seen were all sub 75g. Yeah they don’t have royal skimmers, bashsea sumps and red dragon return pumps with every single item Neptune systems makes. But they’re throwing better colors than alot of these big reefs

I know he drives a lot of y’all crazy. But he’s right about cycling in my worthless opinion. I don’t know how this hobby has managed to take something so simple and muddy it up so much that there has to be 100s upon 100s of cycling threads. Blows my mind actually. I don’t know what contributes to the confusion.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not true or the intention at all .
information regarding the instrument questioned and whether it’s worth it or not. .
What it’s pros and cons of physically owning one vs research of what it’s supposed to do

My apologies if that wasn't the intention, seems that's what it has devolved into unfortunately.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats my thing - I just cannot justify the cost for the temporary needs. I have no use for the ammonia, temp and ph checks and I check PAR once a year or when lights are added. Rest of the time, it would be on a shelf, and the biggest downfall as mentioned is, not being portable but the need to be connected to a computer device

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my thing - I just cannot justify the cost for the temporary needs. I have no use for the ammonia, temp and ph checks and I check PAR once a year or when lights are added. Rest of the time, it would be on a shelf, and the biggest downfall as mentioned is, not being portable but the need to be connected to a computer device
Spot on. But as Brandon iterates, it sure would be nice if someone else bought one and shared the data with the class!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How is it not portable? It is only connected when used. Laptop or PC. No different than a return pump or power head or light. Frequency of use very well could fall off depending on ones needs.

Wonder how many other things hobbyist put in a box or shelf that are no longer needed.

The wheel turns.

Edit: I am ignoring the cloud add-on or web server box piece

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How is it not portable? It is only connected when used. Laptop or PC. No different than a return pump or power head or light. Frequency of use very well could fall off depending on ones needs.

Wonder how many other things hobbyist put in a box or shelf that are no longer needed.

The wheel turns.

Edit: I am ignoring the cloud add-on or web server box piece
Im referring to free standing portable compared to Apogee and other meters which can be taken anywhere without a computer attached and Portability would be the least of concerns of all mentioned.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im referring to free standing portable compared to Apogee and other meters which can be taken anywhere without a computer attached and Portability would be the least of concerns of all mentioned.

I think you are stretching it a bit. Yes the Seneye requires a connection to a computer and not self contained like the Apogee. However it costs less than half as much and used in home aquaria - that was the intent and design reason. The hobbyist would have to take the connection requirement into account prior to purchase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back