Sensitive topic.... And I am still learning. Dying fish?

Stew18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the salt water thing for 2 years now and still feel like I am a virgin. I have a guy I bounce things off of but hate to bug him all the time.

Here is my moral dilemma......
If you know that you have a fish that is dying.
How do I know??? I have no idea.

Do I let the natural happen? Do I put them in the QT and let them die? Do I flush them?

I honestly don't know what the right answer is. Yes I do have a QT tank. And since I am new at this I have had quite a few fish dies. I honestly have not had a fish die in six months. Which makes me feel good.

Any input is awesome!!!!!!

Thanks for your patients with a new guy

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it honestly depends on what the fish is dying from and if it seems to be suffering. Reading the fish disease section of these forums has made me realize that there are fish that can survive what seems like a death sentence at first glance.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick and painless are what you need to be thinking about if that time comes.

Do some reading and ask questions (like this) on any method you decide to try.

That said, clove oil plus a trip to the freezer has been my go-to.

Please also do some reading on fish care. Under good circumstances there's almost no reason for a fish to die in an aquarium except old-age. @Paul B and his posts (and book!) here on R2R would be great starting points.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone in this hobby, you made a good choice to share your hobby with us all here on R2R.
That said if any of your fish has a weird behavior going on post it here and you always can tag the [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] in there for some help.
Other members are jumping in as well, just the two before me @mcarroll and @michellejy is a great example, we all have one goal and that is being successful in this hobby.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef hobby is a constant learning experience. I have been keeping tanks for 52 years now and learn something new all the time. Read the forums and ask questions. Follow people who give good solid answers to problems. Read, Read,Listen ,listen and read some more. Go to MACNA and listen to experts on the various topics within the hobby. When at MACNA hang out and listen to others talking about problems and ask a question. There is so much to know that it can be quite a task but if you love to learn this hobby is for you.:)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally dont put a fish down unless I absolutely have to. I'll give them everything I've got and when I run out of ideas I know I can get a few new ones to try from my friends here. That being said, there are times when it's best to not let the fish suffer any more. Dont ever be afraid to ask questions.... we are here to help!

OP
OP
Stew18

Stew18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I just hate to see fish suffer.

The weird thing is I'm a firefighter and see people suffer all the time but animals/ fish it just drives me nuts - I know it makes no sense

I love this hobby and I keep asking myself why and I really think it's for he challenge. So when I see a fish sick or have one die during the night I take take it personally.

I'm trying and thank you @eatbreakfast

Devon93274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish has something nasty like ick, and its in my display, I personally would just flush it. If its dying from stress, quarantine it, so it doesn't burrow in your live rock, turning your display into a graveyard. Personal experiences lol. Then again, 200 lbs of live rock is what made me this monster I am today.
WP_20160603_03_57_50_Pro(1).jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a fish that was obviously dying I would put it in the freezer. Fish are cold blooded and just slow down when it gets cold. I am not of the mind that fish feel "pain" as we do. I also don't know if they feel remorse, guilty, self assured, ostentatious, self confident or overwhelmed. I eat fish almost every day and so far have not felt bad that virtually every one I ever ate or the millions of pounds of tuna that Star Kist jams into those little cans every day died on the deck of a ship with no one there to give them last rites, clove oil or place them in a freezer. So if you put it in a freezer, he will thank you as it will die a much better death than suffocating on the deck of a ship or like 99.9997% of fish which are eaten alive by something larger. So that's what I would do. Unless of course the fish was a Liberal. Then I would put it in the refrigerator with another Liberal fish so they could argue with each other about the treatment they are getting. :rolleyes:

Back