Septic Tanks + Saltwater, help me prove a point

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small volumes of 3.5% saline being continuously diluted by a large volume of fresh water. Perhaps you have a better solution?

As for the under cover of darkness, that is so I don’t further antagonize my neighbor’s neuroses.
Your own septic leach field instead of the community creek? I mean, it is your salt

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your own septic leach field instead of the community creek? I mean, it is your salt

I used it in an aquarium for an average of just 2 1/2 months.

I will be returning it to nature, in as benign state & method as I can, for entropy to do it’s thing.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To address the original question- dumping half saltwater/half freshwater is probably less saline than urine, which the septic tank is made to handle.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
north carolina...clay....stuff is so impermeable my leach field has 16,000 square feet of surface area to try to get stuff to soak into the ground...i'd rather pour the water on my gravel driveway to kill weeds than risk making the leach field less efficient...if i was on sand i wouldnt care at all

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, diluted salt water will have minimal impact on the actual system which is what the original post is about. BUT the soil doesn't care if it's diluted or not. The same amount of salt is getting deposited in the soil regardless of the amount of water carrying it there. I would avoid putting salt water in the septic system if possible. Much better to drain into a swale / creek or storm sewer. Compare that with the thousands of tons of salt we put on the roads each year that enters our river systems...

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting point about the roads. They dump tons of salt on my road every year, yet plants grow happily right up to the pavement. Along with the grass in my leach field. My opinion is that it all gets washed away and diluted by the rain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back