QT water and septic tank?

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to a home with septic this summer and set up my first QT tank. Currently a few antibiotics in the water. I researched the dos and donts of a septic and it’s always recommended to never ever flush any antibiotics. What should I do with this water? Run charcoal? Do the antibiotics eventually oxidize and breakdown if I run it for a while?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I suppose if you were running huge tanks and had a significant amount of antibiotics being flushed, then it would be a concern.
But on a scale we use them at ( 20 gallons of medicated water vs the amount of water in septic tank) I wouldn't think it would be a concern. If you did consider it a concern, maybe run carbon on the tank before flushing the water.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on septic my entire life. I run 4 tanks and every bit of waste water from changes be it QT or display goes into my septic system and has been for the 8 years I've been reefing. On average I do at least 40g of changes every week. If the people that think they know what's best for us had their way we wouldn't even have septic we would have to pay to have everything processed.
FWIW I just had my tank cleaned two months ago for the first time in 27 years and other than a bad crust on top because I waited too long everything was normal or at least the guy pumping it said it was OK and he dumps the waste on his property :winking-face:

Dump it outside on the ground.
Lol that's where my septic water ends up. It flows through a sand filtration system that drains to a creek on our property which is a branch of the black river that flows into Lake Erie.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been on septic my entire life. I run 4 tanks and every bit of waste water from changes be it QT or display goes into my septic system and has been for the 8 years I've been reefing. On average I do at least 40g of changes every week. If the people that think they know what's best for us had their way we wouldn't even have septic we would have to pay to have everything processed.
FWIW I just had my tank cleaned two months ago for the first time in 27 years and other than a bad crust on top because I waited too long everything was normal or at least the guy pumping it said it was OK and he dumps the waste on his property :winking-face:

Lol that's where my septic water ends up. It flows through a sand filtration system that drains to a creek on our property which is a branch of the black river that flows into Lake Erie.
Yeah, I have 32 years in the same house, same septic tank and everything goes down the drain. Saltwater, medicated saltwater, etc. I have mine pumped about every 10 years and I always asked them how does the septic tank look ( when I tell them about all the saltwater ) and I get the same answer every time. Looks fine, no damage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back