Serious lighting size question

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since many reefers use canopy and many use hanging why don't manufactures make sizes that make more sense?
Example 2 common canopy sizes 48 inch and 96 inch. Common LED bar and T5 fixture length is 48 inch plus cord or even 47.5 inch plus 1 inch for cord turn.
It seems like we are almost intentionally making lighting not fit right in the common canopy's by less than an inch...why are manufactuers doing this?

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question too! Looking at buying a 48" retrofit t5 kit and yet my tank is 48" long. Accounting for space for cord, the canopy will have to be bigger than my stand which will look a bit awkward. I am going to make a DIY hanging canopy so I might cut a hole in the end of the canopy for ventilation and for the cord to pop through. Would cut down on required space. Just an idea! Hope it helps.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bit of dogma, but canopy stuff is usually retrofit territory, not for mounting fixtures. I am not defending this and agree that it is nuts, but just the way it always has been. Some manufacturers will not honor their warranty if their stuff is used inside of a canopy, so don't tell any of them what you are doing.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back