Seriously considering throwing in the towel

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your mishaps hope you recover from them.
Had tubing come off return pump and dumped about 40 gallons on brand new wood floor. over flowed my ATO a couple times,fixed that, but that is about it. Now when I add something with new hoses I always check and re tighten them after a week. I have had other problems but all my own making. If you are in the hobby long enough something will happen, I feel lucky having tanks fresh and salt for 40 years.
My son had a gfi go bad when he went on vacation and came home to a dead smelly tank, of course he got no notice from his Apex and he was a good 10 hour drive away. He also on another occasion had his Apex go bad and took a week for it to get repaired.
I have thought more than once about getting out and did once for medical reasons. The more complex things get the more opportunity for things to go wrong. low level detector is a good safeguard, I had a DC return pump stop and my high level alarm let me know luckily I was home so now I only use reliable AC pumps for return.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a dollar for every gallon of RO water I’ve overflowed onto the floor I could’ve bought a fully automated RO/saltwater mixing station!!
Not me use a float valve and solenoid shut off now, it only took me twice to have it go on the floor.

Mattscubeofwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Oly from Switzerland. His tank was beautiful and was an inspiration to me and several others. I consider him to be one of the best reef keepers. The pic below was taken a few weeks ago.

a084ab71dc9882daaf4e12cfd0f7d82b.jpg

He went on vacation and today his heater failed while he was away. This shot is a pic from a camera he has to monitor his tank

0293c0b5a9616f7adea736f3fe2237f7.jpg

Don’t give up man, as you can see disaster even happens to the best.... true reef keepers don’t quit. Consider how you could build a safer system and get to it

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Oly from Switzerland. His tank was beautiful and was an inspiration to me and several others. I consider him to be one of the best reef keepers. The pic below was taken a few weeks ago.

a084ab71dc9882daaf4e12cfd0f7d82b.jpg

He went on vacation and today his heater failed while he was away. This shot is a pic from a camera he has to monitor his tank

0293c0b5a9616f7adea736f3fe2237f7.jpg

Don’t give up man, as you can see disaster even happens to the best.... true reef keepers don’t quit. Consider how you could build a safer system and get to it
These things happen only on vacation. When did my emergency overflow clog up? When did my tang jump out of the QT? .... yep

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back