OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop dosing and let the system stabilize .
And after a few water changes test for a period of a week to establish accurate Alk consumption . Calculate proper dosing to establish your desired levels .

Esv 2 part works great , I’ve been using it for many years .
But you need to know where you’re starting from with nothing added to the system in order to calculate
Seems like the best thing to do. I’ll do a 50% water change or 90% as another member suggested. Should I add more beneficial bacteria after doing these large water changes or NO!???

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the best thing to do. I’ll do a 50% water change or 90% as another member suggested. Should I add more beneficial bacteria after doing these large water changes or NO!???
I would not add more bacteria. The bacteria should already be living inside your rocks. I'd say don't add anything at all. Just water change, measure your Alk/Ca/Mg/NO3/PO4 for a few days and see what direction it is going. Begin dosing your Alk/Ca/Mg/Trace based on daily consumption.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to do anything to maintain your pH levels? Also, how old is the tank and how long have you had the coral?
Weeks before 8/30 test, I was dosing PH Balance but that started to be the cause of high ALK, then I switched to PH Booster by seechem due to PH dropping below 7.7 constantly. I stopped dosing PH Booster and did a large water change now it’s at 8.2-8.4

Tank is 8 months old. And I had the coral for about 5 months

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeks before 8/30 test, I was dosing PH Balance but that started to be the cause of high ALK, then I switched to PH Booster by seechem due to PH dropping below 7.7 constantly. I stopped dosing PH Booster and did a large water change now it’s at 8.2-8.4

Tank is 8 months old. And I had the coral for about 5 months
Okay I was seeing if you were adding any chemicals to increase pH, because they also increase alkalinity. It seems that you already know that though.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yea I’ve been having major issues with ALK. since it’s down to around 12DKH I guess I’ve been looking for it to relax and show stability.

I changed my REEF salt from RedSea Blue bucket to the black bucket for lower ALK
But it still raises to 12DKH. I use RO water every time for water changes.

I want to use this 2 part product but not sure if it would work or make things worse
Isn't the black bucket red sea the higher Alk salt of the two? I think both are higher Alk than most mixes. I would not keep my tank Alk that high. I like 7.5-8 much better, seems more forgiving and easier to keep stable.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the black bucket red sea the higher Alk salt of the two? I think both are higher Alk than most mixes. I would not keep my tank Alk that high. I like 7.5-8 much better, seems more forgiving and easier to keep stable.
Blue bucket it 7.5-8kH
Black bucket is 12kh
Yea I got them mixed up

IMG_4526.jpeg

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay yeah just keep using blue bucket and lay off dosing anything that impacts Alk until it comes down and stabilizes then you can start to see how it drops with no dosing and then start dosing to offset it. Don't chase Ph with chemicals.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays at home water test results before suggested water change

ALK is the issue
Higher ALK results in reefs needing higher PAR????
IMG_4527.jpeg
Higher alk is used after you push par, nutrients, and especially FLOW as part of an accelerated growth regimen. Your consumption will dictate your parameters, essentially. For now, keep it in my range...

Screenshot_20230915_051525_APEXFusion.jpg
Screenshot_20230915_051518_APEXFusion.jpg

I'm not gonna tell you to stop using the ph buffer, but you should probably stop using the ph buffer

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher alk is used after you push par, nutrients, and especially FLOW as part of an accelerated growth regimen. Your consumption will dictate your parameters, essentially. For now, keep it in my range...

Screenshot_20230915_051525_APEXFusion.jpg
Screenshot_20230915_051518_APEXFusion.jpg

I'm not gonna tell you to stop using the ph buffer, but you should probably stop using the ph buffer
Yea I discontinued the PH buffer last week. I need to upgrade to this APEXsystem. I’ll print this out stick it to my water chem board

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a major water change and ALK is still sitting at 11, not 8DKH as RedSea salt is measured for. Is it possible for ALK to be leaching from live rock?

9/15 my ALK was 15 DKH todays it’s down to 11 DKH after water change. I’m happy it’s lower and I’ll take 11 over 15

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back