Seriously!? You had one job to do!! Ever bought a fish or invert for one purpose and had them utterly fail you?

Have you ever bought a fish or invert for one purpose and then had them completely fail at that job?

• Nope! All my critters have done exactly what I hoped they would!

Votes: 47 12.9%
  • Yes! They just ended up being a freeloader!

Votes: 200 54.8%
  • Yes! Not only that, but they did something I didn't want them to.

Votes: 60 16.4%
  • Well...they did what they were supposed to, but also did something they weren't supposed to...

Votes: 47 12.9%
  • Other (comment in the thread)

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters

BadgerReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a difficult balance to strike with many of these animals. If you are good about keeping everyone fed well, then they will take the easiest route and just eat what you feed (it's what any of us would do). However, if you restrict feeding, to force them to go after the pest, you run the risk that in being forced to look elsewhere, they might acquire a taste for something you don't want eaten.

I wish all of them were like berghia nudis - have one purpose in life - eat aiptasia. I was blown away by how effective they are.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Klein's (orange?) butterfly to battle aiptasia. It knocked out the aiptasia fairly quick. But all of my coral started to recede. I really liked the butterfly but it had to go. I didn't actually see it eat coral, but it was constantly picking over it.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two buggers:
1) Emerald crabs - Yes, they took care of my nuisance algae BUT then they developed a taste for my zoas so into the sump they went.
2) Acro crabs - Lazy AF. Refused to tend to the acros. Instead spent most of their time on the sand bed

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a mixed bag. Sometimes I don't think my peppermint shrimp works like he should... but if I'm patient the rare few aptasia I have noticed finally get taken down.
I have a lawnmower blenny that eats until he looks like a pig.. but doesn't really eat the stuff I would prefer him to.
That being said, I'd give these guys a B+

Cleaner shrimp.. he's awesome. Looks good, interested in stuff. Constantly trying to clean fish. A

My hermits.. ok at things on ground, but knock stuff around sometimes and pick on snails. C-

Foxface rabbit fish x 2.. paranoid and don't eat anything unless we give it to them. D-

Have spirobids (not a huge issue) but bought an ornate leapord wrasse. He eats them, but not a lot. That being said, super cool fish, laid back and fun. Earns a B.

Kole Tang.. wears helmet and licks bus windows. Picks on hermit crabs and our lawnmower blenny. F

About to add a copperband. I don't have expectations for him/her as we don't need it do do anything really...

ACReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp bothers my acans all the time and my snails are big and act like bulldozers and knock over corals.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see. I have had a copperband be wonderful at keeping aiptasia at bay only to end up eating my lps. He went to a better home for him. Miss that guy though.
The worst was my red footed conch that ended up eating two of my clams (squammy 12" and derasa 8") before I realized it was him. He is now on display with the clam shells. :)

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tang doesn't like algae, pigs out and bullies my other fish on the meaty foods that I dump in the tank.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry Blenny doesn't know he's a herbivore. He's FAT and goes nuts when I feed the other fish their brine shrimp... his nickname is Mr Munch. The rock he lives in and hangs out on has more algae than anywhere else. Like now, he laying in a nice soft pile of GHA watching me type this.

The Tailspot Blenny's rock has almost no algae on it.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time they did it a lot slower than I wanted, but they always ended up doing what they were supposed to do.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Hare - grazed constantly but never seemed to go after what I wanted gone.
Wheeler's Goby and Candy Stripe Pistol shrimp - took over a year to find each other, fall in love, and move in together.

SDJustin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Diamond Watchman Goby - Turned the sand bed over, but also liberally spread it on corals. I upgraded into a larger aquarium and went 'no sand' and he's doing great.
2) Aptaisia eating filefish that doesn't eat aptaisia (yet at least, but he has tons of personality)
3) Tangs (Yellow, Purple, Blue) are algae munchers, they earn their keep big time
4) Astrea Turbo Snails. I bought 5 of them ~2 years ago and probably have 35-50 in my tank now. They are great grazers and self replicate.
5) Lawnmower blenny is GREAT! He chomps on anything that looks hairy/leafy on the rocks. What he doesn't actually eat get's 'trimmed down' and caught up by the filter.
6) 2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Great personality, and once or twice when my blue tang got stressed out (during a tank upgrade) and had some slime coat / skin issues, the cleaners cleaned him up right away and he healed up quickly.
7) Scarlet Hermits - 4 out of the 5 I purchased two years ago and are still growing/molting & picking at Algae.
8) Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits - only 1 alive out of 10 after 2 years, although they were originally TINY. Maybe the scarlet's took them out?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t really get them for any specific job, but kept a RBTA in my tank because I knew I was going to get a clown pair. Well, got the clownfish pair and the stupid things sit in a corner and rarely even move ! Not to mention the dang RBTA became the spawning devil ! Tank was soon overrun with Anemones !

ReefNate34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp ended up eating stylo and poci polyps among other SPS and LPS!!! Peppermint Shrimp are THE WORST.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two shipments of berghi nudibranc and the ones in the sump cleaned it out but took 6 months. 3 file fish none are aptasia. Two dozen peppermint shrimp that kept jumping when they got close to the aptasia and so all ended up aptasia food. Guess it's time to break down the 180.

ReefingFamily

"It's all about the colors"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Peppermint shrimp that just like to crawl over my aptashia.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface for Valonia - nope! Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptasia - nada! Six-line wrasse for flatworms - Big fat goose egg! Even though they did do what I wanted, they're still pretty cool additions.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freeloading and some negative side effects ( ate palys and coral) A rabbit fish.
P1000008.JPG

He ate these.

P1000002.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back