Seriously!? You had one job to do!! Ever bought a fish or invert for one purpose and had them utterly fail you?

Have you ever bought a fish or invert for one purpose and then had them completely fail at that job?

• Nope! All my critters have done exactly what I hoped they would!

Votes: 47 12.9%
  • Yes! They just ended up being a freeloader!

Votes: 200 54.8%
  • Yes! Not only that, but they did something I didn't want them to.

Votes: 60 16.4%
  • Well...they did what they were supposed to, but also did something they weren't supposed to...

Votes: 47 12.9%
  • Other (comment in the thread)

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you ever bought a fish or invert for one purpose and then had them utterly fail at that job?

I'm thinking of a copperband butterfly (like the one in the pic) or a filefish that you bought for aiptasia and then they ignored your aiptasia and went straight for your zoas. Or maybe a wrasse for pests that didn't do what you expected, and instead started picking on everything else in the tank... or a peppermint shrimp that liked your BTA or rock flower nems instead of the pests he was supposed to east, or a sea hare that didn't do his job on the algae, or any other critter you put in your tank that just didn't do their job.

1) What was the fish or invert that didn't do what you had hoped?

2) Were they just a freeloader?

3) Did they do the job, but also did something else they shouldn't have?

4) Did they go rogue and have to be removed from your tank completely?

1 - qotd.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a pipe fish to get rid of nuisance amphipods eating a lot of my lps. It ended up being the laziest pipe fish on the planet. Refused to eat any of the 30,000 copepods I cultured weekly for it and only wanted his frozen cyclops.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang and one spot rabbit fish on my current tank. Previously had both types that were spectacular algae eaters and these two are just freeloaders. Still love the look of them but man they suck at their intended purpose.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My most frustrating example was a filefish that I bought to take out the aiptasia in my 180...well he just waited to be fed with everyone else. Never even nipped at one of the blasted anemones... Then I bought a pair of peppermint shrimp...same thing... ;Facepalm I waged war on those stupid aiptasia with a tank full of freeloaders until I finally took it down when we moved.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Margarita Snails. Yes, they do a great job of keeping things clean BUT they are constantly climbing out of the tank and down the outside of the glass. Makes me crazy!

This was nerite snails for me. Had one survive on the floor behind the tank for the better part of a week. I even had a glass lid but they would escape through the cable cutouts. No more nerites for me.

Frosted_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One spot fox face, I did my research, watched a ton of videos and got advice from several others that they were algae eating machines. He wasn't in my tank a week when he ate all my LPS and completely ignored all the algae and nori sheets. We went away on vacation and in a week he ate my 4" clam. I am currently trying to catch him in order to rehome him.

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my one spot foxface rabbit fish because I liked the look and it was a better fit for my tank than a tang, but was hoping it would eat algae off the rocks. It occasionally picks at it, but really likes nori placed in his clip...

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted that all my critters did exactly what they were suppose to but then I read some posts. Now I recall having peppermint shrimp to clean up excess mysis that my seahorses left behind. They actually did do that for a while until they decided that they resided with very lazy ponies who would not exert the effort to eat them. At that point they became very brazen and came out into the open when I fed the seahorses and stole the mysis right out from under the ponies's noses! It became so frustrating for me that the peppermints were banished to the sump.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby - all you had to do is stay IN the tank!!!!

Peppermint Shrimp - I haven't had a single one eat aiptasia!

Aside from that, most fish I get because I like them and like how they look. As long as they don't die they're doing their job. (some are better than others...)

Back