Setting up a new Tank...AI prime hd ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter boatguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

boatguy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2020
Messages
60
Reaction score
98
Location
St Augustine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have been out of reefing for about 10 years. I had a 125 Gal long and built my own LED hood with cree leds. Now I see that I can just purchase LED lights. The new tank is an Octo lux t90. 35" long 18" wide and 18" deep. My plan (at this moment) is to do a floating reef(shelf to hold rock about 5" off the bottom) and to start with 3 AI Prime hd lights. I am most likely going to need more as I want to keep SPS. I have no experience with the AI Prime HD lights and am hoping someone who is using multiple units might chime in with advice. Thanks for the help.
 
Well Thank You for the welcome. Peace river...So you live near Punta Gorda nice area. I've run the river up to Gators on many an occasion.
 
BRS did a study on the Prime 16HDs.

One of the tanks was a 40 breeder, which is very close to your dimensions (36x18x16).

They found 2 Primes to be enough for soft and LPS.

3 was adequate PAR numbers for SPS.



I am currently using their lighting schedule over a Red Sea XL300 for soft and LPS. I currently have a 3rd that will show up tomorrow for that easy bump up. I am very satisfied with the coloring of the corals under these lights.
 
Thank you. I was planning on the ease of upgrading by adding another light. I was also thinking about light failures (bound to happen at some point) and being able to replace one unit instead of a big all in one all at once type of failure.
 
I Have been out of reefing for about 10 years. I had a 125 Gal long and built my own LED hood with cree leds. Now I see that I can just purchase LED lights. The new tank is an Octo lux t90. 35" long 18" wide and 18" deep. My plan (at this moment) is to do a floating reef(shelf to hold rock about 5" off the bottom) and to start with 3 AI Prime hd lights. I am most likely going to need more as I want to keep SPS. I have no experience with the AI Prime HD lights and am hoping someone who is using multiple units might chime in with advice. Thanks for the help.
Welcome boaTguy,
Lots of ai prime fans here
I have one and like the adjustments
We will have to see about longevity, so far so good.
Brs did a video on multiple ai primes on different size tanks, see above post
 
Yesssss AI Prime HDs!!! Here’s my tank with 2 of them. 20 gallons, it grows everything I put in there!
0866CBEB-774E-453A-B963-FE1767ECD1F8.jpeg
F5ED79CD-E70B-4541-8DC4-B92ACF059B8E.jpeg
93E09652-3A06-4487-9A56-387FCAA2BD0A.jpeg
 
3 primes is getting pretty close to two XR15 G5s price-wise - and the XR15s are waaaay better lights.

And are significantly more expensive than a pair of XR15 G3/G4s used. (which are still much better lights)

And the XR15s aren't going to spontaneously tip over and fall into your tank every once in a while. Which will save you maintenance costs.
 
That's more than $600 in lights before you even talk about the cost of mounting. I think you can find much better options out there. I have owned a total of 3 AI Prim HD over the years. Less than 2 years in and I was down to 1 working AI Prime.
 
I had two AI Prime HDs over a 24” long tank. At 75% intensity I got 250 par about 15 inches from the lights. I felt they were too weak and swapped them out for a full panel light for better coverage and no spot lighting.
 
Thanks for all the good advice. I am taking a long look at the radion xr15 g5 pro. 1 isn't enough and 2 would need to be turned down in intensity hmmm.... nothing wrong with not running at over 100% in terms of longevity?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new