Setting up a QT tank

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have never QT any fish from my tank and that’s one reason I’m hesitant to buy fish but I recently bought a small tank for QT purposes. I have a heater, power head (small), and some other things to cycle the tank fast. My question is what QT routine should I use. I own polyp lab medic but I hear copper power is a good for precautionary treatment, but I don’t own a copper test kit. My second question is Would it still be wise to use copper power, if not what should I use to treat fish just to be safe even if they don’t show signs of diseases. Or is it even worth it to treat fish that don’t show signs of disease and just monitor them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational quarantine, with no proactive treatment is always a mistake. You should look into getting a good copper test kit (Or better yet, a Hanna checker) and run copper at full dose for 30 days. You might be able to use Copper Power without a test kit if you dose very carefully, to the exact water volume of your tank, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Jay

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational quarantine, with no proactive treatment is always a mistake. You should look into getting a good copper test kit (Or better yet, a Hanna checker) and run copper at full dose for 30 days. You might be able to use Copper Power without a test kit if you dose very carefully, to the exact water volume of your tank, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Jay
Thanks for your input, I have already added a Hanna copper checker and copper power to my cart on bulk reef supply

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Just curious after copper should I use prazipro? @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my basic process:

First 72 hours - acclimate the fish to the QT, get them feeding, etc.
Then, start copper reaching a full dose within 48 hours. Hold at full dose for 30 days
Water changes to pull copper down to around 50%, then prazipro with good aeration, two treatments, 10 days apart.
Then, change more water to remove most of the remaining copper and watch the fish closely for two more weeks,
If all good, then move them to the DT.

Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then, start copper reaching a full dose within 48 hours. Hold at full dose for 30 days
Water changes to pull copper down to around 50%, then prazipro with good aeration, two treatments, 10 days apart.
Then, change more water to remove most of the remaining copper and watch the fish closely for two more weeks,

Jay
Going to save this thank you!

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
For the two prazipro treatments, is it ok if there’s a little copper left while treating them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the two prazipro treatments, is it ok if there’s a little copper left while treating them?
Yes, just reduce it some via a good water change.
Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just reduce it some trough a good water change.
Jay
I usually do a 25-30% water change everyday in my 10 gallon quarantine cause I don’t want ammonia to build up and want to keep the water quality high. Do you think 2 treatments of prazipro 10 days apart are enough?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just reduce it some trough a good water change.
Jay
I usually do a 25-30% water change everyday in my 10 gallon quarantine cause I don’t want ammonia to build up and want to keep the water quality high. Do you think 2 treatments of prazipro 10 days apart are enough?
You should pass on the water change the day after the treatments. I like to dose praziquantel 3 times, a week apart, but I can’t really give advice contrary to label instructions.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back