setting up a quarantine tank

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am going to set up a quarantine tank probably a small 10 gallon but what must I do to keep the thing cycled when no fish are being treated. I am going to do my very best to never have to deal with having to treat any sick fish etc ,but just in case. what SG should I keep the thing at and should I use live rock? I would treat marine ich if it were to ever happen with the low SG method. I am keeping just a small nano cube 24 and will only be keeping smaller fish. I currently do not have a quarantine set up and was thinking of just seeing if I could pay for 4 fish and see if the lfs guy would keep them quarantined and just get them all the same time would this work? thanks in advance

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep some filter media in my sump that can be pulled out and put into a HOB filter in the QT whenever it is needed....that way I don't have to keep the QT set up when it is not in use. Unfortunately it appears you are not using a sump so you will either have to do constant water changes or keep your QT running and seeded (this can be done by ghost feeding when the tank is empty). I would keep the SG at the same level that your DT is. I personally would not use any live rock. I like to keep the QT as simple as possible to keep it clean......some PVC and maybe a couple of fake plants....things that can be cleaned and sterilized. As far as the LFS keeping your fish quarantined....you may be hard pressed to find a LFS that will be willing to do that correctly.

mkoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many LFS do not have the space to do that for everyone, if yours does that's a great LFS and yes it would work, however I always still QT even coming from a respectable place that has already done QT procedures.

It really comes down to my confidence in my thoroughness and results of my specific QT procedures and treatment methods that have proven successful for me outweighing the risk of taking someone's word for it. Nothing against the companies who do this pre sale but it's just not a risk I am willing to take.

If you still plan to stock more fish you can cycle your QT and ghost feed it while empty to keep it running.. Alternatively a tank can be set up with fresh mixed water as an emergency, you must monitor very closely and do daily water changes. If the filter starts to brown at all it needs to be changed. This is very intensive and should be used in case of emergencies imo

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys appreciate the help. ghost feeding what is that ? what size pipe would i need? also bare bottom or should use some sand? im just setting up a nano 24 tank. could i just keep some filter floss in the media basket and pull out and use in quarantine tank in like a power filter ? should any lighting be used in the qt? how long should I quarantine for ? I learned on not quarantine a few years back by buying a royal gramma and not keeping quarantined. long story short my fish i was keeping so well at the time died. so definately learned the hard way on that .

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys appreciate the help. ghost feeding what is that ? what size pipe would i need? also bare bottom or should use some sand? im just setting up a nano 24 tank. could i just keep some filter floss in the media basket and pull out and use in quarantine tank in like a power filter ? should any lighting be used in the qt? how long should I quarantine for ? I learned on not quarantine a few years back by buying a royal gramma and not keeping quarantined. long story short my fish i was keeping so well at the time died. so definately learned the hard way on that .

Ghost feeding is adding a little bit of food to the tank similar to what you would be adding if you had fish in it. Then, I monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This way I can monitor the tank to see when it is ready for new inhabitants.

I do not recommend keeping a sand bed in a QT tank. This way if you have to medicate, it does not get absorbed by the sand. You would also have to toss the sand if you use medicine.

Yes, you can use some filter floss from your display tank and run it in a power filter for the QT.

I just use what comes with most standard fish tanks for lighting. The lighting is just for you to be able to view the fish and identify any issues.

I recommend QT'ing for 4-6 weeks. This way you have ample time to identify any issues.

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You sounds good. now when I cycle the 24 using live rock and have the filter floss in the media basket could I just use that after my 24 display has cycled? could I just pull the floss and use in the qt and add my fish to the qt? thanks for the help just wanting to make sure I get this right.

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question the amount of live bacteria on filter floss to be used as the only source. I would get some seachem matrix media toss it in the back of your tank in a media bag. Then when you need it simply toss in your qt and your ready to go.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem_..._Filter_Media-Seachem-SC3171-FIFMBOCR-vi.html

Salinity I would keep just like you keep your display. If you need to lower it with for treatment then do it slowly.

Sand in qt isn't a good idea unless fish requires it. You want to keep it as clean as possible.

Something like PVC for the fish to hide in is also a great idea.

Reason qt don't often work is because fish need a minimum of 6+ weeks to be in the clear. Most people think well been two weeks looks good and then ich shows up or velvet and wipes out there tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Thanks.. but should I just use the seachem stuff only instead of floss? also if I drop that in the back of my 24 nano when I set everything up would that have enough bb on it after like 4-6 weeks from cycling my DT tank with live rock? to use in the quarantine tank? so I can add fish to there to be quarantine . thanks and what size power filter would work on a 10 gallon quarantine ?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back