Setting up a reef tank as a stable ecosystem

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I’m not normally one to start up a discussion, but due to current events and changes in life I’ve had to place setting up my display on the back burner. It’ll be my first reef tank (typical story, had a small freshwater tank as a child. In my case saw an antennata lion and thus began the saga that’s led to this). Believe it or not I’m actually sort of glad I’ve been forced to pause, simply because I’ve realized I was charging in without really knowing what I’m doing.

Anyway, I’ve been forced to lurk on here and have read through many incredible builds, discussions on livestock, delved into the more technical side of chemistry, lighting, bacteria, etc. And it’s made me realize I really want to approach this build, even though it’s my first, as if it’s going to be my one and only. Or maybe like it’s gotta grow old with me? I hope everyone is following lol

So text wall aside, what does everyone recommend for running a successful mixed reef? How have people managed to propagate and maintain a diverse ecosystem of micro fauna? I know this is very broad, but I’m kind of hoping to make this discussion useful enough that it could be a good resource for fellow newbies like me.

@ReefSquad

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We focus on biology over technology & are loving the diversity along with the results. Starts with culturing your own phyto & moving into Pods. The rest seems to follow.

I’ve read about phyto and some of its benefits, but I’m sure I could learn more. I hope you don’t mind, but would you mind explaining how phyto benefits a reef and all involved? Partly for me but also so this can be a good reference?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first and foremost thing we do in this hobby to be successful is to effectively manage water quality. Everything else is secondary. Every time you make a change/addition to your tank, "how does this effect the quality of the water" should require some reflection before acting on impulse.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first and foremost thing we do in this hobby to be successful is to effectively manage water quality. Everything else is secondary. Every time you make a change/addition to your tank, "how does this effect the quality of the water" should require some reflection before acting on impulse.

Thank you, makes me think we should almost consider ourselves water keepers first and foremost lol. What’s your take on bacterial diversity and/or live vs dry rock with regards to biological means of keeping things stable?

Also, is worth looking into any of the programs like triton or zeovit?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a plan and minimum 50% live rock.
Have all your required equipment before water is in your tank.
Good quality skimmer.
Dose by hand then carx.
Filter sock
Ato
T5, MH, led, they all work. Pick one and stay with it.
Good internal flow
Trace elements

Good cleanup crew
Appropriate number of fish.
Feed the fish not the corals.

Important!
Pick your range of parameters and keep them stable and within range.
Test frequently, I test alk every other day because its easy and only takes a few minutes.

If you do water changes then be consistent.

Thats how I did it from day one with a no scheduled water change system too.

All grown from frags in 1 year.
20200513_185242.jpg
20200702_184556.jpg

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process is to choose a few specific reef inhabitants you absolutely want to keep, these could be coral, fish, anemone, worms, crabs, lobster etc.. I suggest one or two as your first target stock. Completely research that particular choice or couple choices. Choosing some main stock will then help you choose a tank size, lights, power heads etc. While you research you'll likely find other animals that will coexist well with your target stock and be able to grow your stock list. You can always post ideas here and get input as well. I feel like many reefers do this backwards buying a tank first then rocks and equipment and try to then fit their stock in instead of building the reef around what they want to live in it. But... My mind works a little backwards sometimes ;)
Good luck!!

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching,,,planning on my second tank. Learned a lot with my 56. Going big next or going home with something 200+ gallons. Love to see what others have to say on this subject.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process is to choose a few specific reef inhabitants you absolutely want to keep, these could be coral, fish, anemone, worms, crabs, lobster etc.. I suggest one or two as your first target stock. Completely research that particular choice or couple choices. Choosing some main stock will then help you choose a tank size, lights, power heads etc. While you research you'll likely find other animals that will coexist well with your target stock and be able to grow your stock list. You can always post ideas here and get input as well. I feel like many reefers do this backwards buying a tank first then rocks and equipment and try to then fit their stock in instead of building the reef around what they want to live in it. But... My mind works a little backwards sometimes ;)
Good luck!!

Well, I actually already have 2 ocellaris clowns in the 40B that will be my QT, so they’ll be the first inhabitants. I also already have my DT (120G) which I got for a great price and is about the biggest tank I can get away with as far as my other half is concerned. That said I do have an idea of what I want to have as far as Coral goes. Other livestock..well, I’ve got the clowns. Since I’m not sure if 120 is big enough for a tang I’m going for a one spot foxface. Beyond that? Not sure.

As far as coral goes, I’m really envisioning three levels and a mixed reef. For softies I’m mostly interested in zoas and pipe organs. Some shrooms maybe. But im not really set on them As far as lps goes: euphylia, Favia or favites, and candy cane/trumpet. I didn’t originally want to go into sps but I’ve been reading so much I’ve kind of changed my mind. Based on tidal gardens’ videos I’m thinking Pavona, lepto for sure, and possibly Stylo. I’ve found myself drooling over some acros, but I’m going to try and wait lol.

Edit: I have some equipment already. I have a maxspect gyre xf330. A reef octo 150-INT skimmer, a pro-clear 200 sump (which I regret buying. I really think I need something that allows for a bigger refugium), and a supreme aqua mag return. I have a fluval marine light but at this point I’m trying to forget I bought it lol. I’m debating between either noopsyche and/or Orphek bars. I simply can’t justify radions unfortunately. I also plan on changing to a dc return eventually

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider Live rock. Some folks will strongly disagree with this but I too feel quite strongly it’s one of the greater decisions I’ve made through the years. Nothing beats discovering all the life within in. And the benefits far outweigh the chance for pests. Again, in my opinion. Perhaps I got lucky but my rock came with zero pests (Gulf Live Rock).

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well info that helps. If you have two clowns, will you be getting them a nem? If so keep in mind their at least the size of a dinner plate when happy and full grown. You can do some smaller tangs in a 120. I have a yellow and tomini in my 155 but you do want to plan your rockwork in a way that gives them large spaces to swim and some larger obstacles to swim around (if possible). If your going mixed I'd recommend planning ahead as much as possible, I've had my best luck by kind of creating zones for specific needs of lower or higher light and flow. I even built a tank zoned off with a drop off for this reason ;) .

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider Live rock. Some folks will strongly disagree with this but I too feel quite strongly it’s one of the greater decisions I’ve made through the years. Nothing beats discovering all the life within in. And the benefits far outweigh the chance for pests. Again, in my opinion. Perhaps I got lucky but my rock came with zero pests (Gulf Live Rock).

I am now. I have about 60 or 70lbs of dry. But I want to find a way to add at least 30lbs of live.(gulf live, Tampa, etc) I don’t want a ton of rock in my DT so fish have some room and flow is reasonable enough not to have any dead zones. But my impulse buy sump does not have nearly enough space for even a refugium with 10lbs or rock. Should I just say screw it and go for the diy Tupperware sump? Lol

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well info that helps. If you have two clowns, will you be getting them a nem? If so keep in mind their at least the size of a dinner plate when happy and full grown. You can do some smaller tangs in a 120. I have a yellow and tomini in my 155 but you do want to plan your rockwork in a way that gives them large spaces to swim and some larger obstacles to swim around (if possible). If your going mixed I'd recommend planning ahead as much as possible, I've had my best luck by kind of creating zones for specific needs of lower or higher light and flow. I even built a tank zoned off with a drop off for this reason ;) .

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. The zoas and pipes slightly above the sand bed. Lps mid level, and what sps I do go with being at the top.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now. I have about 60 or 70lbs of dry. But I want to find a way to add at least 30lbs of live.(gulf live, Tampa, etc) I don’t want a ton of rock in my DT so fish have some room and flow is reasonable enough not to have any dead zones. But my impulse buy sump does not have nearly enough space for even a refugium with 10lbs or rock. Should I just say screw it and go for the diy Tupperware sump? Lol
Up to you. Another option is an aqueon standard 20L etc from Petco and throw in some acrylic dividers. Super cheap.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you. Another option is an aqueon standard 20L etc from Petco and throw in some acrylic dividers. Super cheap.

I wonder if that would be bigger than my pro clear worth looking into, thanks!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always go larger too if your stand allows.

I could probably go with at least a 40B. My stand is just a steel framework so it’s pretty open I just have no idea what I’m doing with regards to custom baffles. If I knew how to reasonably diy acrylic and had the tools to do so I’d try and create a sump that completely filled the open space at the base of my stand so I had plenty of room for a large fuge, my skimmer, return, and for plumping in a Ca reactor and possibly a UV.

If wishes were horses lol

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could probably go with at least a 40B. My stand is just a steel framework so it’s pretty open I just have no idea what I’m doing with regards to custom baffles. If I knew how to reasonably diy acrylic and had the tools to do so I’d try and create a sump that completely filled the open space at the base of my stand so I had plenty of room for a large fuge, my skimmer, return, and for plumping in a Ca reactor and possibly a UV.

If wishes were horses lol
It’s actually much easier than one night think. If you don’t feel confident doing it yourself, another option is to have a store like HD or Lowe’s cut em for ya. Also fairly cheap is to buy them cut already on ebay. Just a suggestion :)

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about phyto and some of its benefits, but I’m sure I could learn more. I hope you don’t mind, but would you mind explaining how phyto benefits a reef and all involved? Partly for me but also so this can be a good reference?

When we come to the realization that we are building an ecosystem, especially one that we hope to make stable, then learning everything we can about those ecosystems becomes paramount. Water movement, quality / stability & lighting are certainly essential to success, but it's what we add in addition to these things that I find interesting.

Phyto is the bottom of the oceanic food chain. Few corals consume it directly, but it is essential for other types of life that can flurish w/n our systems (e.g. flame scallop). In my reading I came across a quote that I'll paraphrase (& I wish I can remember the author), "to really enjoy the things we can see, we need to spend time & effort focusing on the things we cannot see." Bacteria, phytoplankton & the smallest zooplankton fall into this category. Phyto is a single-cell algae that it is the building block from which everything else derives. The environment of our synthetic reef is unfit for phyto to grow in abundance, so it must be added regularly. Zooplankton then consumes this, & multiplies. Corals & some fish (e.g. the mandarian fish) will then feed directly off this plankton. Feeding the reef live food helps to complete the ecosystem. Both phyto & zooplankton are very easy to grow at home, & the DIY community has numerous threads on the topic (ours is there as well).

Now certainly, depending on your livestock & the goals of the system, not every tank will need this but it seems reasonable to suggest that every tank would benefit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back