Setting up new tank, leveling problem

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m preparing to setup my Waterbox Peninsula 15 gallon tank. Im using a wire rack shelf (18”x”24”) that’s rated to 350 pounds per shelf. I placed a piece of polyed plywood down with a yoga mat under it to spread out some of the weight over the entire surface of the shelf. The Waterbox also has foam on the bottom of it, so I’ve got plywood laminated with foam under the tank. Even so, I have a gap under the tank

I think my problem is the plywood I have isn’t perfectly flat, it’s causing a gap under my tank. See photos.

im incredibly nervous about setting up this tank as we have a new house and I want to make sure it is solid before it ever sees water. Help?

The one picture with no gap is front to back, the other one is looking side to side.

CBCF1AFE-07DA-40C9-B586-9E6107C735C2.jpeg 5F37D0E6-457C-4919-A192-2B4974DBC118.jpeg

Kyle954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say fix that before you fill it… I just set up my 90 and had a difficult time leveling the stand to my new floor but the tank never had an issue sitting flat on the stand itself.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also the fact that those wire stands aren't always the best. I have one out in the garage that my mother uses for plants now because it's just like yours. Mine, you can look down the edge and see the curve in the top rail.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m contemplating scrapping the wire rack idea and going with something else. I’ve been looking on Amazon and they have some black metal legs available quite cheaply. Thinking about trying to make a concrete countertop to attach to those legs. That would certainly be flat and with some rebar incorporated, it should support many times the weight of the fish tank. Taking some time to think over my options though.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is also the fact that those wire stands aren't always the best. I have one out in the garage that my mother uses for plants now because it's just like yours. Mine, you can look down the edge and see the curve in the top rail.
I really was excited for the wire rack, the weight limit seemed perfectly adequate and I found one online that was the perfect size for this tank, but I just don’t know if it’s truly square and level enough for my liking. Might use it as a printer stand and come up with something else for the tank.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So in the end, I made a "traditional stand." It's basically a seamless cube shape with a hole in the back to hide equipment and battery backups on the wall side. I'm a terrible carpenter, so there's a lot of bondo on the seems under the paint, but it seems to be solid with the 2x4 structure skinned with 1/4" plywood and 1/2" plywood on top.

Paint is still drying, but I'm hoping to be able to get it inside tomorrow and get water in the tank finally! Even has leveling feet so I hopefully no more gaps under the aquarium!

IMG_3521.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back