Setup Replacement APEX Unit

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just received my second Neptune APEX warranty replacement! Come setup and cannot see how I apply my config to the replacement unit from the Fusion dashboard! Last time I did this it seemed straight forward! Google seems to be giving lots of upgrade old kit answers but I can't see how I restore my 2016 > 2016 unit!

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there is no straightforward way to do this, I must have copied and pasted config across last time, just don't remember doing it!

This is another missing Neptune Systems feature, The fusion dashboard is a clearly a cloud-based software as service - redundancy and fast disaster recovery being the backbone of cloud-based services. To not have the ability to backup and restore the config from the cloud is bizarre. This market really needs a proper competitor to give Neptune a kick and start thinking more customer-focused.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you have a backup file of your old Apex Config? If so you have to load it in Apex Local under "Misc" Button

apexload.png

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but you will have to redo all your programming and start from scratch. For future reference, you can save and load your config file in Apex Local under Misc.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s what I’ve done. With what I’m hearing (and experiencing) re. Neptunes kit reliability, sounds like they could do with some investment in redundancy and recovery!

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you have a backup file of your old Apex Config? If so you have to load it in Apex Local under "Misc" Button

apexload.png
Hello there, I have just received the NEW replacement unit today and I cant seem to find the option either on fusion or on the app. Can you please help me with getting the configuration moved from the old unit to the new unit as I have same the summary file that's in PDF but if there is another file I need to save let me know please.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your local network:
http://*you.apex.ip.address*/apex/config/loadsave

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you enter your fusion info on replacement unit?

@SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, I have just received the NEW replacement unit today and I cant seem to find the option either on fusion or on the app. Can you please help me with getting the configuration moved from the old unit to the new unit as I have same the summary file that's in PDF but if there is another file I need to save let me know please.
While it is possible to backup and restore the Apex config, it is not a simple process. First, you need to have created a backup file in advance from your old Apex, following the instructions I posted in this thread:

Second, when it comes time to restore the backup onto a new Apex, there are a number of prerequisites to make it work properly:
  1. The replacement Apex must be the exact same model as the original. You cannot restore from an Apex Classic to an Apel-EL, or from an Apex-EL to the full Apex 2016.
  2. You must first go through the basic Apex setup process to get it onto your network.
  3. You must attach each module in the proper sequence so they are assigned the original AquaBus addresses they had on the old Apex. In order to achieve this, you'll need to have a record of the old AquaBus addresses, such as shown in the Modules list or in the System Summary. As new modules are attached, they are automatically assigned the next available AquaBus address in sequence.

NOTE: If your old Apex had a gap in the AquaBus numbers due to a previously deleted module, you will have a very difficult time getting your newly attached modules to also reflect that gap in the AquaBus numbers. You would need to attach a bogus module so it is assigned the missing number, attach your remaining modules so they are assigned the numbers beyond the missing address, then delete the bogus module to leave that gap in numbering.

4. Once all the modules are attached and properly assigned the correct AquaBus addresses, then you can follow this procedure to restore the previously saved backup file to the replacement Apex:

Note all of these instructions were written for the Apex 2016 and Apex-EL. The older Apex Classic, Lite, and Jr. use the Classic Dashboard to access the Save/Load functions.

Unless you have a very complex Apex setup with many outputs, it is probably simpler to just copy and paste the configuration from your System Summary file onto each of the outputs.

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is possible to backup and restore the Apex config, it is not a simple process. First, you need to have created a backup file in advance from your old Apex, following the instructions I posted in this thread:

Second, when it comes time to restore the backup onto a new Apex, there are a number of prerequisites to make it work properly:
  1. The replacement Apex must be the exact same model as the original. You cannot restore from an Apex Classic to an Apel-EL, or from an Apex-EL to the full Apex 2016.
  2. You must first go through the basic Apex setup process to get it onto your network.
  3. You must attach each module in the proper sequence so they are assigned the original AquaBus addresses they had on the old Apex. In order to achieve this, you'll need to have a record of the old AquaBus addresses, such as shown in the Modules list or in the System Summary. As new modules are attached, they are automatically assigned the next available AquaBus address in sequence.

NOTE: If your old Apex had a gap in the AquaBus numbers due to a previously deleted module, you will have a very difficult time getting your newly attached modules to also reflect that gap in the AquaBus numbers. You would need to attach a bogus module so it is assigned the missing number, attach your remaining modules so they are assigned the numbers beyond the missing address, then delete the bogus module to leave that gap in numbering.

4. Once all the modules are attached and properly assigned the correct AquaBus addresses, then you can follow this procedure to restore the previously saved backup file to the replacement Apex:

Note all of these instructions were written for the Apex 2016 and Apex-EL. The older Apex Classic, Lite, and Jr. use the Classic Dashboard to access the Save/Load functions.

Unless you have a very complex Apex setup with many outputs, it is probably simpler to just copy and paste the configuration from your System Summary file onto each of the outputs.
I really appreciate your response and I did all the steps that you have mentioned prior to your response and the only thing I was missing was a bogus module as I didn't have one. I did the restore and noticed all the name for the modules were all over the place. Therefore I just decided to factory reset the NEW replacement unit and start all over again and manually programmed by copying and pasting the programming from the summary sheet that I had saved. I really appreciate your help and support and for all that you do for this community.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased a replacement Apex eL as a backup recently. This info from Neptune was helpful to some extint.

How to migrate your programming from an A2 Apex/EL to a replacement A2 Apex/EL series of Apex Base units

IIRC, after Step 4, I loaded the backup from my original Apex eL into the new Apex eL. Getting the new unit online via wifi was a slight PITA for whatever (user error) reason. The important tidbit in the Neptune info was to rename the original unit prior to bringing the new Apex eL onlline.

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apex (Morgan )said he would send a link on how to replace the unit and did not. I went on local saved the config file of my old one. I got the new one online and add it. Loaded the config file and the new one said to log off and log back in. I tried it did not work so I looked on my wireless and it does not show anywhere. I replug in my old unit and the energy bar shows disconnected. I am really unhappy at this point.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex (Morgan )said he would send a link on how to replace the unit and did not. I went on local saved the config file of my old one. I got the new one online and add it. Loaded the config file and the new one said to log off and log back in. I tried it did not work so I looked on my wireless and it does not show anywhere. I replug in my old unit and the energy bar shows disconnected. I am really unhappy at this point.

Thanks for posting here!

I think the link I posted above may be what the person was referencing. At this point, you may want to do hard reset on the new Apex unit and start over. Let a couple of other folks have time to chime in for advice as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back