Sexing cardinals

HouseofStark

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
180
Reaction score
64
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this is a mated pair of cardinals? I’ve had this pair for 2-3 years. Wondering if they are male and a female or 2 females? I figured if they were both males they’d fight. And from what I read females had a shorter 2nd fin, and these seem to look identical.

 
Im starting to lean toward them both being female....never seen any breeding, eggs or little ones. :(
 
Wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this is a mated pair of cardinals? I’ve had this pair for 2-3 years. Wondering if they are male and a female or 2 females? I figured if they were both males they’d fight. And from what I read females had a shorter 2nd fin, and these seem to look identical.



I’ve never bred these, but they are slightly sexually dimorphic. The males have a more bulldog like jaw. However, this is relative thing and is most easily seen if you have a known male and female to compare side by side. I’m terrible at seeing that sort of relative difference(grin).

Here is a picture of a male holding eggs:
https://melevsreef.com/blogs/pajama...octurnal fish, not,they are ready to release.
Be aware though, that their larva are NOT precocious like bangaii cardinals. They would need planktonic food in a larval tearing tank like clownfish need.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new