sf_ramsden's 34g Solana

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice collection and like troy said crazy photography as well. I always enjoy looking at your pics.

On the last page what are the pink mouthed Zoa with the light blue body called? They are the ones closest to front on your rack, far right.

OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice blasto is it the iron man??? I wanna get that one as my first blast haha..... How are
You taking your pics??? They look crazy like it's under the moon lol.....

Thanks Troy! I don't know if it's the "Iron Man" or not. I got it from A Reef Creation (p's sod on here and only 15 mins from me). I will have to see if it has a name or not... I saw it and had to have it. That pic was just taken with a point and shoot under power brite LED.

Very nice collection and like troy said crazy photography as well. I always enjoy looking at your pics.

On the last page what are the pink mouthed Zoa with the light blue body called? They are the ones closest to front on your rack, far right.

Thanks! That one is one of two things... Miami Vice or Frostbite. If I had to guess I would say Miami Vice.

OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats some amazing stuff you have there. We just got our first 34g Solana today from a local reefer and set it all up in the master bedroom. We can't wait to start adding some nice corals and fish. I never thought a little tank like this would be so nice.

The 34g Solana is def nice and I would suggest it to a lot of people, that's for sure. The only problem I have with it is that I ran out of room real fast!

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said it before and I'll say it again... you have an amazing collection of zoas!! I would love to see some of your grow out pics..

OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said it before and I'll say it again... you have an amazing collection of zoas!! I would love to see some of your grow out pics..

Thanks for the comment! I will definitely post growth pics in due time... I don't know why but I am currently running into some issues (probably because I stocked up too quickly and it's biting me in the butt now). Pretty much all zoos/palys are bleaching and some shrinking. Not sure if it is my light period, parameters, or what?

My light period of my 4 bulb T5:

Outside blues on at 1:00 PM and off at 11:00 PM (10 hours)
Inside whites on at 2:30 PM and off at 9:30 PM (7 hours)

Is it possible I have lights on too long?

Also, I tested my alk (and I will be doing so daily for a week or so at around 10:00PM) and it is at ~9.0 dKH.

Last edited:

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ur lighting seems fine.. mine recently started bleaching because my mag was too high.. hope everything turns around for you.

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott- glad you like the blasto, I've gotta bring one home for myself! I would lower your daylight photo from 7 hours to about 4 and see if it helps. -JC

OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ur lighting seems fine.. mine recently started bleaching because my mag was too high.. hope everything turns around for you.

I had my mag up to fight off an early onset of bryopsis, but this was over a month ago...

Scott- glad you like the blasto, I've gotta bring one home for myself! I would lower your daylight photo from 7 hours to about 4 and see if it helps. -JC

I'm loving the blasto! Can't wait to get a few more that I've been eyeing at the store (you know which ones). I am definitely going to lessen my photoperiod and see what happens.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I also raised my mag for the troublesome bryopsis and some of my zoas started shooting black stuff out of there mouths and all my w.watermelons started changing all kinds of color patterns, including a bleached mouth. I put a carbon bag in the other day and my zoas got there bright colors backs and there long sexy skirts. (did maybe 2 or 3 water changes within the last 2 weeks as well to help get rid of the high levels of mag) but my bryopsis has came back with a furry and now I'm in desperate need a lettuce nudi, gunna purchase one on Monday or something. I'll post some pictures later to show you what I mean.

OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day two of my daily alk testing... I didn't dose anything yesterday because I wanted to see what my alk dropped to today. Alk as of 9PM tonight is ~8.9dKH. Is it possible for my tank to have only used up 0.1dKH in one day? Maybe it was because I didn't test exactly at 10:00 like last night...

I also changed my lighting schedule to the following:

Outside blues on at 1:30 PM and off at 10:30 PM (9 hours)
Inside whites on at 3:00 PM and off at 8:00 PM (5 hours)

Last edited:
OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Levels are still looking normal (at least what I believe to be normal)...

Alk - Hovering right around 8.8 - 9.0 dKH
Mag - 1500
Ca - 400

Maybe Ca is a little low, but I don't think low enough to throw all of my colors out of whack. Is my Mag too high? I do weekly 15%+ water changes, so I assume my trace elements are all in check. I recently have begun adding in Brightwells restor, which says its supposed to aid in colors of corals, stress, etc.

I'm not even that worried about my colors at the moment, but more worried that I may lose my BPC Flamethrower. It has started to show skeleton over the last week, so I plan on dipping in revive today while I do my water change.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you should re-dip him, probably just one of those corals that requires perfect parameters.1500 isn't too high... but you will experience color change in your zoanthids, and if your mag goes higher all your purple coralline algae will turn white. order a lettuce nudibranch for the bryopsis, and keep your tank at stable parameters and all the color will return with time.

OP
OP
sf_ramsden

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowsers!!! Look at my pickups today! As usual, thanks ARC!

Convict (darn snails kept getting in the way... Whenever I put a new frag in the tank they go crazy and clean the heck out of the plugs)

DSC0602-L.jpg

Mia's Pot of Gold

DSC0603-L.jpg

Baby's Breath

DSC0605-L.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back