Sfin's Dream.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask what happens when the gha dies. It's. Got be like cheato when it dies it release a the nutrients into the water. I imagine thats why large water change is recommended.
I was really nervous to use it, and I’m sure every situation is different. But for what I needed it to do it exceeded my wildest expectations.
In my 55g tank the cheato is knocking the crap out of the gha. I just have a big patch sitting in the tank. It's awesome.
But isn’t that the reason you got Dino’s? (Just curious). From reading 12gallonsofhex’s build thread it seemed like chaeto is the common denominator

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really nervous to use it, and I’m sure every situation is different. But for what I needed it to do it exceeded my wildest expectations.

But isn’t that the reason you got Dino’s? (Just curious). From reading 12gallonsofhex’s build thread it seemed like chaeto is the common denominator
My 55 is fish only and I use tap water for water changes. I doubt ill get dino in that tank.

The problem I see with a refugium is lights run way to long. And deplete nitrates and phosphates. I was running lights 10-12hours. Nitrates still high but bottomed out phosphates. So I cut the lights back to one hour.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Magellan I used the flucanazole to kill the GHA in my tank, it was overgrowing everything including corals. I found out the hard way. It killed all algae in the tank and nutrients swung hard. If I had done better research I would've just done vibrant small dosing. That slowly kills the GHA to the point it just pulls off with ease. It would blow off the rocks just from the powerhead turning on. Before the vibrant that GHA was STUCK to the rocks, I could lift a rock out of the tank by hair algae alone. If you just have a little bit of it, I'd leave it.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Magellan I used the flucanazole to kill the GHA in my tank, it was overgrowing everything including corals. I found out the hard way. It killed all algae in the tank and nutrients swung hard. If I had done better research I would've just done vibrant small dosing. That slowly kills the GHA to the point it just pulls off with ease. It would blow off the rocks just from the powerhead turning on. Before the vibrant that GHA was STUCK to the rocks, I could lift a rock out of the tank by hair algae alone. If you just have a little bit of it, I'd leave it.
After I get done with the dino the rocks will trade phosphate and gha will blow up. That's the reason I keeping the .cheato

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. That’s so much algae, I don’t know what I would do lol

I saw a video on MelevsReef where he accomplished something very similar with a product (PhosRx?) that stripped his phosphates and weakened the GHA, he was pulling the stuff out in handfuls!

I didn’t have much GHA, but did have a couple spots of bryopsis popping up. I had seen horror stories about people fighting losing battles against that crap for years, I didn’t feel like messing around!

any idea how yours got so bad to begin with?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. That’s so much algae, I don’t know what I would do lol

I saw a video on MelevsReef where he accomplished something very similar with a product (PhosRx?) that stripped his phosphates and weakened the GHA, he was pulling the stuff out in handfuls!

I didn’t have much GHA, but did have a couple spots of bryopsis popping up. I had seen horror stories about people fighting losing battles against that crap for years, I didn’t feel like messing around!

any idea how yours got so bad to begin with?
Laziness and really knowing ahead of time that cyano and dinos come from really stripped clean water. So I just let the tank do it's own thing for the first 5 months without doing anything about it. Then I would occasionally pull each rock out and scrub in the sink then replace. That got old, tedious and slowly impossible as the corals got glued to the rocks over time. If I were to use fluc again I'd do a half dose. But only for bryopsis or very uncontrollable algae outbreak.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laziness and really knowing ahead of time that cyano and dinos come from really stripped clean water. So I just let the tank do it's own thing for the first 5 months without doing anything about it. Then I would occasionally pull each rock out and scrub in the sink then replace. That got old, tedious and slowly impossible as the corals got glued to the rocks over time. If I were to use fluc again I'd do a half dose. But only for bryopsis or very uncontrollable algae outbreak.
You have a nano tank too, right?
i was starting to get some serious GHA in the beginning. The old wise man at the LFS said “here try this phosguard”. I added it to my media basket and it’s been there ever since after I watched the algae die. Honestly there has not been anything more satisfying in my reefing experience than watching that algae curtain melt off my back wall :)

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great!!
Named the wrasse skittles.
So the office tank has lucky, turbo, coco, puff and skittles.
Personally I tried talking my daughter into naming turbo; Charms instead.
She wasn't havin it.
:(

they’re after me lucky turbo...just doesn’t have the same ring to it lol

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked on tank. Very few dino left in the tank. Very few. No time for water change tonight.
We just adopted Skyler
2020-02-17_19.22.26.jpg

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You luck out on every pup you get man! He's beautiful dude!
It's a she. But we do. It's quite a story how we ended up with her. Her owners already have a dog im guessing is it's a hypo allergenic. One of their kids is really allergic to Skyler. The youngest was bit by a dog last year and is terrified of skyler. They thought it best to give her up. The dad knew heather from work and asked if we would take her.

Loki has been missing Skeeter has been depressed. This has perked him up for sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back