Shallow Mangrove Cube

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the itch to do another tank and have always wanted to try a shallow mangrove lagoon style tank. I recently picked up the perfect dimension tank for this build and I am really to get started with it. The pics below are my inspiration for the build.

IMG_0056.JPG.75b56a3f440f14c67d50510b5f48f200.JPG

images

Equipment List:
30 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless (24"x 24"x 12")
Custom Stand
Eshopps rs-75 Sump
Kessil a360
Auto Aqua ATO
Hydor koralia powerheads
Syncra silent 3.0 return pump
Aquamaxx fc80 skimmer

I can't get water in this setup till I move in a month or so, but I will probably pick up my mangroves pretty soon and get them growing. I really want to use this tank as more as a fish only setup with some of the fish/ inverts I wouldn't risk in my reef. I might transfer some Zoas and some of the other softies out of my main tank but more of a way to clear out some space than anything.

I am wondering what kind of suggestions people have for stocking this tank as well as the rest of my equipment because since I have a bit of time I haven't nailed down all of my decisions.

Last edited:

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been fascinated with those style tanks good luck I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my mangroves today, I've got some old sand and a 5 gallon bucket they can live in till the system is running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made a lot of progress on this build recently! The move went well and got everything over to the new house just fine. I have plumbed the sump, and set up the aquascape. I'm going to fill it tomorrow and add the mangroves. From what I read the trees won't have a problem being in the tank during the cycle.

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seagrass would make an interesting addition to a Mangrove Tank, Large Rocky islands with many Gobies and Blennies would replicate the Mangrove Forest of South Florida very well! Following along.

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seagrass would make an interesting addition to a Mangrove Tank, Large Rocky islands with many Gobies and Blennies would replicate the Mangrove Forest of South Florida very well! Following along.

I wonder where I could get some. I'm from Florida originally but I am currently in Colorado. I have thought about some other macro algaes though.

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also thinking hard about my stoc list for this project. I want to leave the top open for the trees to grow but I am worried about fish jumping... I will take suggestions on fish that aren't prone to jumping. Itherwise my other idea was doing a mesh rim on the same idea as these cat fences http://www.purrfectfence.com
Something that curls over the rim.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the itch to do another tank and have always wanted to try a shallow mangrove lagoon style tank. I recently picked up the perfect dimension tank for this build and I am really to get started with it. The pics below are my inspiration for the build.

images

Equipment List:
Custom Stand
Eshopps rs-75 Sump
Kessil a360
Auto Aqua ATO
Hydor koralia powerheads
Aquamaxx fc80 skimmer

I can't get water in this setup till I move in a month or so, but I will probably pick up my mangroves pretty soon and get them growing. I really want to use this tank as more as a fish only setup with some of the fish/ inverts I wouldn't risk in my reef. I might transfer some Zoas and some of the other softies out of my main tank but more of a way to clear out some space than anything.

I am wondering what kind of suggestions people have for stocking this tank as well as the rest of my equipment because since I have a bit of time I haven't nailed down all of my decisions.
First picture... what kind of tank is that....... I NEED to buy that

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

images

Equipment List:
Custom Stand
Eshopps rs-75 Sump
Kessil a360
Auto Aqua ATO
Hydor koralia powerheads
Aquamaxx fc80 skimmer

I have a refugium outside, tried red mangroves out there no go. But when I had some inside, with some light from window , what a difference . You'll have no issues growing them. Enjoy

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also thinking hard about my stoc list for this project. I want to leave the top open for the trees to grow but I am worried about fish jumping... I will take suggestions on fish that aren't prone to jumping. Itherwise my other idea was doing a mesh rim on the same idea as these cat fences http://www.purrfectfence.com
Something that curls over the rim.

Why not just do cutouts for the trees?

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the mangroves in the tank and the tank is still cycling. A few of the mangroves aren't doing that great even though I have been spraying them every day, and I am wondering if that is in part due to the cycle. From what I had read in my research the cycle shouldn't bother them, though there isn't nearly as much literature on mangrove husbandry as there is on coral husbandry. I have way more algae going on in this cycle than I have had in the past, and I wonder if it is in part to existing algae that could have been brought in on mangrove roots. I am thinking on getting some fish this week to start the QT process, I know for sure that I want a pair of cardinals, however beyond that I haven't really decided anything. I might try and do a flame angel because I won't have any corals to worry about. As far as the lid goes I don't want to cut out holes for the individual trees, because as they grow and get more leaves that will be a huge pain to take the lid off to do any maintenance. I am thinking at this point I will do an acrylic or mesh rim and stay away from fish like wrasse.

I will post some more pics when I get home tonight and give the glass a good scrape.

kwhyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a two piece cover with half circles in each piece to account for the mangroves. As for stocking, a large group of cardinals would look cool.

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read places that if you put in more cardinals you will end up with 2. Im not sure how big of a group you would need before you start mitigating that agression.

kwhyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, you're right. I forgot about that. If the tank was bigger, I would suggest a group of 10. Sorta like freshwater african cichlids, mitigate aggression by overstocking. That's harder for saltwater tanks...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back