Shallow Reef Powerhead?

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank dimensions: 48x24x12 60g DT volume, 20g in sump. Corner durso overflow
Have been scratching my head on this. I have been using $8 800gph ebay powerheads for the last year on my old tanks and they have worked amazing providing 40x+ flow in my tank. But, with this new switch to a 12'" shallow reef I'm having a hard time having the sand not blow around under the powerhead.
What do y'all suggest powerhead wise? I was looking at the mp10's with the shallow reef shield and they seem promising but I haven't seen too many reviews on them. I guess a gyre would be out of the question as that would probably stir things up for this shallow of a tank, right?
Not really looking to have to make the switch to a larger grain sand as it is already a fairly large grain and sand was from the old tank, so it should have some weight to it from all the bacteria and all.
Thanks!

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering how shallow your tank is ,you are gonna have a hard time not blowing sand everywhere. But if consider using a maxspect gyre, ice cap, or even one of the jebao cp pumps. They produce a more linear flat flow and less steam flow. And they can be turned down to a setting that'll be more where you want it

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12" shallow is what I have. Sand will always blow around with what ever power head you choose. Bare bottom that ***** is what I did

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back