Share pictures of your adult queen angelfish!

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the adult picture of queen angelfish are from the ocean. They have more blue than most of the fish I've seen with aquarium kept fish. But this might be because I have seen very few pictures of actual mature adult queens in aquariums.

Share your pictures! Here is mine about 6 inches long but not an adult.

20220423_214707.jpg

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! How long ago was it a juvenile? Same one as your profile picture? Any aggression?
I got her as a sub-adult about 4". She's about 7" or so & I've had her for 4 years. Grew slowly. My profile pic is one I found online. She'll occasionally chase the other fish around & is the most dominant. She hates other large angels & butterflies (for some reason).

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got her as a sub-adult about 4". She's about 7" or so & I've had her for 4 years. Grew slowly. My profile pic is one I found online. She'll occasionally chase the other fish around & is the most dominant. She hates other large angels & butterflies (for some reason).
I went back and forth forever about getting another large angel but it seems they just don't get along with other angels as adults so I decided against it. Mine has gone from a 3 inch juevinal to a 6 inch sub adult in 13 months. I do feed 14 times a day lol. 235 gallon tank.

1st picture in May 2021, second one is current.

IMG_4251(1).jpg 20220423_214707.jpg

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back and forth forever about getting another large angel but it seems they just don't get along with other angels as adults so I decided against it. Mine has gone from a 3 inch juevinal to a 6 inch sub adult in 13 months. I do feed 14 times a day lol. 235 gallon tank.

1st picture in May 2021, second one is current.

IMG_4251(1).jpg 20220423_214707.jpg
Wow very beautiful! I think if you added another while it was a juvenile there would be no problems. If you really want a large angel, you could add 2 to disperse aggression but it's definitely a risk.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very beautiful! I think if you added another while it was a juvenile there would be no problems. If you really want a large angel, you could add 2 to disperse aggression but it's definitely a risk.
I have such a delicate balance right now with 5 tangs, a moorish idol, and the queen. Any little change sends them into chaos. Something as small as turning the lights to all blue will send the yellow tangs into instant attack mode.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have such a delicate balance right now with 5 tangs, a moorish idol, and the queen. Any little change sends them into chaos. Something as small as turning the lights to all blue will send the yellow tangs into instant attack mode.
That's a yellow tang for you, I think they're all like that lol. Mine gets triggered at anything living.

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new beautiful queen angelfish. And also new to the forum. I figured I would add her or him to the tank while I’m still running copper in it this way I don’t have to add any new fish once I’m done treating my display. Don’t ask long story.. Not sure how old it is but it’s about 4 to 5 inches long. I’m guessing somewhere between juvenile and adult based on the colors but curious to hear what everyone else thanks. Also what’s everyone feeding. I prefer not to use frozen. I also attached a picture of my variety diet for my tank

BDE0EBC2-A4A0-423F-8B86-81325B1D6DE5.jpeg 70CAB55D-40AD-4C96-A8EB-256B4B8A6880.jpeg 126F9887-E325-4412-996C-6259A918DE98.jpeg

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice colors on that guy. Those foods will be just fine. Auto feeder is best as they like to eat all day long. Be carefull with copper in display, I've been there. The liverock will soak up the copper and your levels will drop daily. A hanna checker is the only test kit on the market that will give you readable accurate results. Make sure you don't dose without checking the level, but the levels can never fall below theraputic levels or you need to start over. Also assuming parasites, the ich/ velvet that attach to the live rock to reproduce after they fall off the fish can take over a month to hatch and are not affected by copper. So you have to treat for a long time vs a 2 week treatment in a separate tank.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the adult picture of queen angelfish are from the ocean. They have more blue than most of the fish I've seen with aquarium kept fish. But this might be because I have seen very few pictures of actual mature adult queens in aquariums.

Share your pictures! Here is mine about 6 inches long but not an adult.

20220423_214707.jpg
Look up the Townsend Angelfish. It's a hybrid between the queen and the blue angelfish all three occur in Florida that might be why some of the pics you see are more blue than others.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adult wild queens that I have seen while diving at Grand Cayman and Cozumel all have that beautiful blue/green color to them. Unfortunately almost all of the aquarium specimens seem to shift to a very washed out yellow look over time. It is very discouraging when you have seen what they look like in the wild. I don't think it has anything to do with hybrids. I never saw a yellow one like we see in our aquariums while diving.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adult wild queens that I have seen while diving at Grand Cayman and Cozumel all have that beautiful blue/green color to them. Unfortunately almost all of the aquarium specimens seem to shift to a very washed out yellow look over time. It is very discouraging when you have seen what they look like in the wild. I don't think it has anything to do with hybrids. I never saw a yellow one like we see in our aquariums while diving.
Yes the coloration is different in the aquarium. I am wondering if it takes multiple years for them to get this coloration, and there are just few pictures of angels that have been in Captivity that long? The smaller/ younger wild queens have the same yellow color. And the very large ones have a ton of blue.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the adults where I live really only show the blue around their edges. The true Queens have an almost neon royal blue outline and crown, the hybrids have a more sky blue color and the crown isn't that defined. However they are usually around 20 ft down where I live and I don't bring a camera or a light (free diving) so the colors I see may be off. French and Grays will be up at the surface so unless they are juveniles they are easy to tell apart. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are not Florida so there could be regional variations. That being said I know for a fact blues and queens hybridize in Florida. And regardless of that I've never seen a full grown adult in captivity (at least not to full sized growth) I really don't think a typical tank is big enough let alone have enough of their natural grazing resources to bring out their full colors and I've seen both yellow and more blue ones at about the same size grazing on the same rock at the same time.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new beautiful queen angelfish. And also new to the forum. I figured I would add her or him to the tank while I’m still running copper in it this way I don’t have to add any new fish once I’m done treating my display. Don’t ask long story.. Not sure how old it is but it’s about 4 to 5 inches long. I’m guessing somewhere between juvenile and adult based on the colors but curious to hear what everyone else thanks. Also what’s everyone feeding. I prefer not to use frozen. I also attached a picture of my variety diet for my tank

BDE0EBC2-A4A0-423F-8B86-81325B1D6DE5.jpeg 70CAB55D-40AD-4C96-A8EB-256B4B8A6880.jpeg 126F9887-E325-4412-996C-6259A918DE98.jpeg
Beautiful fish and welcome. Maybe one day I'll have a tank big enough.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back