Shark questions.....please chime in!

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently purchased a freshly hatched marbled cat shark from my lfs. I currently have him in a 200 gallon mature aquarium with lots of swimming room and a few caves to hide in. I know the 200 gallon may cause some concern but I have the means to upgrade when it comes time......I almost look forward to it.

I have had him about a week and he has eaten twice although I have offered him food daily. He doesn't appear to see very well, is this a trait of the species or because he's still a baby? I am offering varied food such as squid, shrimp, clam, oyster, moloscs, from the grocery store. I have also purchased selcon to add to the food. I would like to purchase some additional supplements like shark gel or food containing iodide but I have been unable to find shipping to Canada. For the interim I have purchased Iodide supplement to be added to the water column.

I am looking for any additional advice you can give. I am really hoping for success with this shark and am trying to do an much research as possible. Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering if anyone can explain the difference between a marbled cat shark and a coral cat shark

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad any sharksperts out there?

I don't know much about sharks other than they are very sensitive and require a habitat that is very light in live rock or any obstructions.

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am asking how to tell them apart. From what I can see they look extremely similar.

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for some shark experts to chime in. Is iodide supplement to the water column a viable option if I can’t find food containing iodide such as shark specific supplements

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gallons should be more than enough for this species. Marbled cats usually top out at about 21 inches. The difference between a coral and marbled is subtle, but the coral grows slightly larger and may be a bit more agressive. Another name for the marbled cat is Australian coral cat. Don't feed every day. Try for 3 times a week. Small pieces they can swallow whole. I use an iodine dropper instead of the mazuri shark vitamins for mine, @alprazo also does this. How old is the shark? It is a very good sign he is eating already, they are hardy relative to other sharks, yet not as much as bony fish. Make sure you don't run lights much for the first month, then gradually run them for 15 minutes more each day. Try to keep levels stable. You will see an improvement in behavior when the shark becomes more comfortable in your tank.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 marbled sharks. They say they can grow to 24”. One of mine is approaching 12” while the other 10”. I started supplementing with Mazuri vitamin tablets which contains a bit of iodine and other vitamins. It’s expensive and since I’m selling my sharks, I’d give you a good deal on the vitamins as the jar is recently opened and only has 5 tablets missing. Anyone interested in buying the sharks please go to livestock sale forum and see my post. Thx.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back