Shattered my octospawns skeleton. Will he survive?

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I was rearranging my pico tank rock scape and had to move a couple corals. Long story short while trying to gently remove the octospawn, I accidentally crushed him into 4 quadrants. I did my best to carefully glue the bottom of the skeleton back together and onto a plug but man he looks pretty awful. Has anyone gotten one to survive from this? Is there anything I need to do now or just leave him? Should I put his plug into a darker area to heal or leave him where he was previously living? Should he be relocated to the frag rack in the larger reef instead of remaining in the pico jar?

B2D8F219-6491-4EAC-9C83-7DF78B4D5CF8.jpeg

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've broken three trying to get them off of plugs, The one where tissue wasn't damaged, and where I was able to glue it back together, is doing ok. The other two where the tissue was damaged didn't make it. I would just leave it where it originally was, and hope for the best.

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've broken three trying to get them off of plugs, The one where tissue wasn't damaged, and where I was able to glue it back together, is doing ok. The other two where the tissue was damaged didn't make it. I would just leave it where it originally was, and hope for the best.
Okay thanks. He has some polyp extension after a few hours back in the tank, so hopefully he makes it!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar with my Blastomussa. Algae was growing on the skeleton of one polyp, and I wanted to remove one head to treat that one head, which helped the other 2 heads tremendously. BUT I really screwed up/crushed the skeleton of the small blasto head. I did my best to glue it back into place. Honestly I'm surprised how it looks. It actually opens up, but there is some extra skeleton peaking out on the side, and I think it just abandoned that piece.
I mean I think if it does not get infected I think it can recover. I mean many people frag wall hammers/frogspawns, and they manage to live. So it definitely is possible. But I would keep it in the same tank if it was previously doing well in that tank since moving it could stress it out.
I'm hoping for the best :)

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar with my Blastomussa. Algae was growing on the skeleton of one polyp, and I wanted to remove one head to treat that one head, which helped the other 2 heads tremendously. BUT I really screwed up/crushed the skeleton of the small blasto head. I did my best to glue it back into place. Honestly I'm surprised how it looks. It actually opens up, but there is some extra skeleton peaking out on the side, and I think it just abandoned that piece.
I mean I think if it does not get infected I think it can recover. I mean many people frag wall hammers/frogspawns, and they manage to live. So it definitely is possible. But I would keep it in the same tank if it was previously doing well in that tank since moving it could stress it out.
I'm hoping for the best :)
He’s seemed relatively okay the last month and a half, so I’m hopeful. Just letting him do his own thing in the corner of the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back