Sherman Rose Bubble Tip Anemone ID

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is today and it's gettin green in the middle of its tentacles?? I know it's not a Bali because the last photo is the one I also have in my tank!

IMG_6495.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6494.JPG

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had or seen a true Sherman with any green in it.
Yeah I know, that's why I'm confused it was sold to me as a Sherman but almost a year later it's getting hints of green in it. I've heard from other that they have had nems color morph form contact with others before. Can't really prove that theory though.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a true Sherman rose under leds and it didn't have a scrap of green. The base was very dark almost black. That name is thrown around on a lot of red nems especially in TX. Only way to know if you have one is to track the lineage. Otherwise it's just the sellers word. If it has any green I would guess it's not a true Sherman.

This was mine taken with flash under leds. I lost mine and need to get another.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426355443.432002.jpg
I'm wondering if that's what this is

20170314_172204.jpg

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dug back through my old emails and data I have on the Sherman, SRBTA.

"one way to tell if someone is claiming they have a sherman rose is the foot is not darker in color it is the same light color as the flesh per James at lone star aquaculture who was cultivating the sherman rose anemones."

But we need to take into consideration the standard was set back in the late 1990s-early 2000s'. At that time we did not have LED lighting. The oral disk or flesh, as stated above was tan under halide or other lighting at the time. This now appears more blue/dark gray under LED, especially under strong blues. The base of the tentacles carry this color then turning the bright red. Depending on how you have your LEDs set you can pick up a greenish hue at the base. It's a muddy green/blue/gray but should always match the oral disk in color. The Bali BTA the OP shows in the last picture clearly has different coloration in oral disk to base of tentacles.

Does this help, or did I just muddy the waters more?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the sherman have vibrant (electric blue icy white) webbing on the oral disk/face?

trying to id my anemone

old post but the answer is no. sherman’s should be deep red with a dark oral disk. no green either.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a Sherman but I've seen a bunch here in the DFW area. We're close to Sherman, TX where it was first recognized. As others have said no green at all. Normally get very large. Very little bubbling. I've heard they don't ship well so they aren't seen very much outside of TX. They show up for sale pretty often here even at some lfs's.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a Sherman but I've seen a bunch here in the DFW area. We're close to Sherman, TX where it was first recognized. As others have said no green at all. Normally get very large. Very little bubbling. I've heard they don't ship well so they aren't seen very much outside of TX. They show up for sale pretty often here even at some lfs's.

they actually ship very well.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sherman’s usually don’t really bubble up. I argue that there is any true Sherman “BTA”. Bright red and really only red throughout are the ones I’ve seen.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also see them very often here in Houston

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back