Shim's reef. WB Peninsula Mini 25

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, back into this after 20yr hiatus. Have had the itch for a few years and when a friend started up his nano, it got worse. New long term work from home policies extending beyond the pandemic timing means 3+ days a week I'll be working remotely and decided the office needed some upgrades.

Equipment
BRS 5 stage RODI system w (2) 20 gal brute trash cans, one for fresh, one for salted water.
Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 tank
Intank Media basket w/ filter floss to replace socks
Inkbird 306A temp controller and BRS 200W titanium heater
TUNZE SILENCE 1073.008 Pump (dead silent and highly advised upgrade to stock pump)
TUNZE 3155 ATO w 5 gallon bucket
Have not picked a light yet but leaning towards the ReeFi LED Uno
"Contoller" is a KASA 6 plug strip via Alexa and yes I did install a GFCI outlet that it's all plugged in to.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt
20lbs SEACHEM Grey Coast sand
20lbs ish of Caribsea liferock shapes
Cycling w/ Dr. Tims

office1.jpg
office2.jpg
rock1.jpg
tank side1.jpg
waterback.jpg
waterin1.jpg
watertop.jpg
mediab.jpg

Attachments

• tank 1.mp4
    83.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planned inhabitants are as follows, looking for input on compatibility. Using most of a box of CaribSea shapes rock with a lot of perching spaces and hiding caves.

CUC
1 (larger) Blood Red Fire shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 yellow clown Goby
1 Flame Hawkfish
Pink-Streaked Wrasse
Clown Jester Goby

Not sure if there is enough tank to also add 1 of the additional:
Randall’s Assessor Basslet or something on the small side. Yellow tang would have been nice but too small of a tank.
Other suggestions welcome. Wanting to see varying colors in the fish, not sure I want clowns but Wyoming Whites or Sanjay Black Photon F2 Naked Clownfish would be the choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to stick a small piece of Dragons Tongue macro in the display tank near the overflow and maybe GSP on back wall. Some SPS and Zoas to fill in the rockwork, and suggestions welcome for smaller torches/frogspawn/ flowy things that won't overgrow the tank.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger last night on the ReeFi LED Uno. I hope I made the right decision but seems like a good light and the lack of a glare is much needed due to where I'll be sitting for the majority of the day. Still not sure how I'll hang it. Their mounting brackets are made for 8mm glass, Waterbox technical specs says my tank is 6mm. Wall mount may be the only option.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congratulations, your tank is looking awesome.

MichaelP121579

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Waterbox peninsula mini 15. I ditched the stock pump ( very loud) I happened to have a small pump that fit. I put a prime 16 on it, I have Duetto ATO, Ice Cap k1 skimmer and aqumie wavemaker coming tommarow

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from vacation and time to add some life to the tank. Still waiting on my light so missed out on all the great coral sales for BF and CM but able to remain patient, for now at least.

Local LFSs and Live Aquaria out of Yellow Clown Gobies so instead added 3 Bumblebee snails, 2 Trochus snails, 2 blue hermits, was supposed to be 2 red hermits but I think they gave me 1 and a rando snail pretending to be a hermit. They are really small, smaller than pinky finger nail, so easy mistake to make. Added a bottle of Tisbe Pods as well.

And Red, our new Fire Shrimp. I think my wife fell for him/her when she was able to feed it some Rods Frozen food from a pair of long tongs.
IMG_3070.jpg
IMG_3067.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, back into this after 20yr hiatus. Have had the itch for a few years and when a friend started up his nano, it got worse. New long term work from home policies extending beyond the pandemic timing means 3+ days a week I'll be working remotely and decided the office needed some upgrades.

Equipment
BRS 5 stage RODI system w (2) 20 gal brute trash cans, one for fresh, one for salted water.
Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 tank
Intank Media basket w/ filter floss to replace socks
Inkbird 306A temp controller and BRS 200W titanium heater
TUNZE SILENCE 1073.008 Pump (dead silent and highly advised upgrade to stock pump)
TUNZE 3155 ATO w 5 gallon bucket
Have not picked a light yet but leaning towards the ReeFi LED Uno
"Contoller" is a KASA 6 plug strip via Alexa and yes I did install a GFCI outlet that it's all plugged in to.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt
20lbs SEACHEM Grey Coast sand
20lbs ish of Caribsea liferock shapes
Cycling w/ Dr. Tims
Following along. Yet to receive mine, but doing a very similar setup. Great job on everything and the rock structure.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red had her first molt last night. Looks to have been successful, she's been hiding all morning but can see movement in the cave. Glad I warned my wife about the possibility of a molt 'cause she's the one who found it and didn't freak out.

Found a Pink-Streaked Wrasse on LA Diver's Den that should be arriving on Tues. Can't wait. Still on the lookout for that yellow clown goby.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a lil worried earlier today, my favorite parcel delivery service actually showed up within their scheduled delivery window for once and in-between meetings. Opened the box to find cold heat packs and the bag inside felt pretty cool but he was still swimming. Temp acclimated the bag for 45 mins and at next break, moved him to the tank. He hid pretty well for the first 2 hours but is now out and exploring, hunting down pods by the looks of it. Super tiny, I expected small but wow, must be pretty young. Anyway, here is Gonzo.

IMG_3102.JPG

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weekish ago I added some Dragons Breath and Hypnea Pannosa macro algae to the display. Wasn't sure it was going to survive, the box arrived cold, heat packs exhausted and everything was pale brown, not the bright red and blues I was expecting. Mos of it died off but what is left has regained color and showing growth.

Light update. While waiting for the Ree-Fi Uno, picked up a Kessel A80. I know it's too small a light for this tank but hoping it'll do well enough until I get the proper light. So if anyone is interested in a slightly used A80 in a month or two...

And then made another large purchase a few weeks ago. As I had been expecting my tank light to arrive around now, I took part in the Zoanthids.com live sale, and sorta bought 16 new corals...
Golden Dragon Mushroom
XL Electric Green Fuzzy Mushroom
Multicolored Ricordea Florida
UC Lava Ring Mushroom
Frozen Apple zoa
Bonfire zoa
Captain America zoa
Pandoras zoa
Eagle Eye zoa
Dragon Eye zoa
Sonic the Hedgehog Galaxia
Jedi Mind Trick Monti
She Hulk Chalice
Space Monkey Favia
Pumpkin Patch Echinata
DC Trinity Acro

Corals arrived today and very happy, would highly recommend Zoanthids.com btw, and got it all set in the tank. It's all just starting to acclimate so no detailed pics yet.
IMG_3119.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG
IMG_3121.JPG

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions include an AI Nero3 and DIY screen top from BRS. Eventually want to go with an acrylic top, still researching options. Added a bunch of empty shells for the Hermits and they've been changing out daily.

New corals seem to be doing well except for the DC Trinity Acro, I'm not sure it's bad, just not doing anything. I don't see any polips, etc. Thanks to Santa, I've been able to start checking parameters a lil better with new Hanna Alk and Phosphate Checkers, Calcium is on the way. Also ordered a Salifert Nitrate test kit. Alk was a lil low so started dosing Sodium Bicarbonate and raised PH from 7.9 to 8.5. Nitrates are between 10-15 and Phos is at .12. I keep salinity at 1.024 using RODI @ 0 TDS. Macro Algae seems to be growing decently.

Court Jester Goby Delivering tomorrow from LA, and LFS has a Yellow Clown Goby in QT. They won't let me reserve him so we'll see what happens in 3ish weeks.

IMG_3129.JPG

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new fish store, well new to me. Another LFS was supposed to have had a Yellow Clown Goby on hold and in QT for me and after the 28 days had passed, they didn't know anything about said fish... But a way smaller LFS happened to have one that just graduated from QT a week ago. Finished out the work day and trudged through the snow to pick him up... and 2 corals.

Lando.JPG

Back