Shippers really don’t cover losses due to fed ex delays?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some misunderstanding in this thread.

Forget insurance. If FedEx delivers the package after the guaranteed time, FedEx refunds the shipping costs. It isnt an iffy, maybe, negotiable thing - its refunded.

If a seller refuses to cover DOAs for delays, they are pocketing both the money the buyer paid them and the money FedEx paid them. Under such a policy, the seller risks nothing and the buyer risks everything.

Every professional livestock company I've ever dealt with issued refunds for DOAs, regardless of the reason for the DOA. Without exception.

It is frankly very shady to refuse to cover DOAs due to delays in shipping, and sellers who list such a policy should always be avoided.
I don't think there is a misunderstanding, sure FedEx will refund the shipping cost but their delay caused the loss of livestock and they are refusing to cover the full extend of their issue forcing in some cases small businesses to cover FedEx's issue. Companies like WWC charge enough to cover it with their high prices and volume, small businesses may not be in the position to do so for an issue that is not their fault.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a misunderstanding, sure FedEx will refund the shipping cost but their delay caused the loss of livestock and they are refusing to cover the full extend of their issue forcing in some cases small businesses to cover FedEx's issue. Companies like WWC charge enough to cover it with their high prices and volume, small businesses may not be in the position to do so for an issue that is not their fault.
The seller has been reimbursed by FedEx for shipping costs, which was all the actual money the seller lost. Their financial losses are already covered. The buyer needs to also be reimbursed for their costs.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem with the internet. Way too much misinformation given in this thread.

Last edited:

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller has been reimbursed by FedEx for shipping costs, which was all the actual money the seller lost. Their financial losses are already covered. The buyer needs to also be reimbursed for their costs.
You must have missed my post earlier. FedEx will not cover any shipping cost for live animals. Ship your aquatics covers it with their own insurance if they are provided the correct documentation for proof.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have missed my post earlier. FedEx will not cover any shipping cost for live animals. Ship your aquatics covers it with their own insurance if they are provided the correct documentation for proof.
I think we're talking about different costs. FedEx absolutely refunds deliveries that don't arrive on time. Not the cost of the animals, the shipping costs.

The costs of the animals are on the seller, thats the risk of shipping. I was only arguing against the notion that sellers should be able to keep both the buyer's money and the shipping costs (which are refunded for late deliveries regardless of whats in the box)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting discussion. Definitely important to know the policies of whoever you're buying from.

Cdipasquale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EMeyer, I hear what you're saying and I understand. But your entire statement in incorrect. FedEx does not refund late shipments for livestock at all. They don't cover the livestock or the shipping cost. I don't know why....they give their guarantee on arrival time but once they know there is livestock in that box, that guarantee is garbage. The shipper cannot recover anything from fedex at all. It doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

Fedex also wants you to jump through hoops to make your account eligible to ship livestock. A lot of vendors just put perishable on the box and don't declare that it contains live animals, so they can sometimes get away with a refund for late charges. But if they are shipping them correctly with fedex terms, they can recover nothing for late packages. It's a crazy ridiculous system but that's how it is.

That's where Ship Your Livestock comes in. If a shipper uses their service to ship and pays extra for the on-time insurance, then the shipper can recover shipping costs for late packages. But that program is self funded through Ship Your Livestock, not fedex.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EMeyer, I hear what you're saying and I understand. But your entire statement in incorrect. FedEx does not refund late shipments for livestock at all. They don't cover the livestock or the shipping cost. I don't know why....they give their guarantee on arrival time but once they know there is livestock in that box, that guarantee is garbage. The shipper cannot recover anything from fedex at all. It doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

Fedex also wants you to jump through hoops to make your account eligible to ship livestock. A lot of vendors just put perishable on the box and don't declare that it contains live animals, so they can sometimes get away with a refund for late charges. But if they are shipping them correctly with fedex terms, they can recover nothing for late packages. It's a crazy ridiculous system but that's how it is.

That's where Ship Your Livestock comes in. If a shipper uses their service to ship and pays extra for the on-time insurance, then the shipper can recover shipping costs for late packages. But that program is self funded through Ship Your Livestock, not fedex.
That is exactly the point I was trying to make. I thought the screenshot I attached earlier spelled it out.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oks, so I have read most of this. For starters, FedEx will not guarantee Live Animals. Yes you can pay for shipping insurance through ship your aquatics for the value of the package, but that isn't to cover DOA's at all. The insurance is more for if the package was damaged while FedEx had it. Good luck getting that even covered as well. A lot of DOA policies state that you have to contact the seller within two hours of receiving the package of any issues. I think the whole insurance part of this thread is misunderstood.

Screenshot_20191225-172733_Chrome.jpg

Yea. I’m not sure why people are thinking fedex or any carrier guarantees the animals inside to arrive alive. I already thought this was common knowledge but apparently not.

Regardless, I’d never order from any company that doesn’t guarantee that I will get what I paid for alive no matter the reason. It seems to be primarily private sellers that try to have this joke of a policy by putting the carrier delay disclaimer in.
As another poster said, as a seller, losses due to carrier delays are just part of doing business.

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t seem to understand how this works. WWC isn’t just eating the cost if something dies because of shipping errors, they have the packages insured and get the Money back from fedex by filing a claim.
if fedex themselves won’t gaurentee their timed delivery of overnight actually being overnight, then WWC has no recourse if they ship it knowing it’s not covered.
Actually, it’s you that doesn’t seem to understand how it works. WWC and every other vendor absolutely is eating the cost of animals that die in shipping. No shipping companies guarantee live arrival. It would be impossible for them too. They don’t have time to give packages that contain live animals any special care. Also, writing “fragile”, “perishable”, or anything else on the box is a waste of time. The packages go on the conveyor belts and are thrown into the trucks just like every other packages.
It would also be impossible just due to fraud. People could (and would) send dead animals and try to put in a claim.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fedex and ups are not set up to ship live animals. If a shipping company were to cover DOAs they’d have to charge many times what they currently do. People would scam them daily. Especially when some coral frags are hundreds or even thousands of dollars and the prices being charged are pretty arbitrary with no way of proving to the shipping company the coral even is what you are claiming it is. If the shipping companies were forced to cover live arrival they would just stop shipping live animals all together. It is a minuscule part of their business.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the financial losses of the actual coral or fish covered by anyone if they die, I do not understand what you are claiming? This is not even counting that fact that FedEx will not reimburse the actual shipping cost for delays of livestock.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t. I don’t think he was claiming that they were.
I was referring to this comment about the seller getting reimbursed and losses covered, and he did not for the actual coral / fish that was lost:

"The seller has been reimbursed by FedEx for shipping costs, which was all the actual money the seller lost. Their financial losses are already covered."

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many have stated, Fedex absolutely does not refund or offer any reimbursement on late, damaged packages. When I received my Live Shipper Certification from FedEx using all of their requirements it clearly states in the contract you must sign they do not cover any losses or delays. FedEx is completely free and clear of any loss, it is clear as day in the contract. We offer a store credit for losses minus shipping cost paid by the customer. This is on a case by case scenario, but that is a different conversation. We take a loss on shipping regardless of location or box size. Also as others have stated large companies that price things substantially higher are funding such massive warranties thru those prices.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has always bothered me and never made sense to how anyone could pay hundreds of dollars if not thousands for a coral order to have your package delayed and be okay with just losing the money.

I refuse to buy from anyone who doesn’t cover shipping delays. It sucks for both parties to have the ordered delayed but why does the person who handed out money the only one who has to suffer?

It’s almost as a couple people started not covering delays and now it’s accepted as the norm. It should not be accepted and if a package is lost, it’s the cost of doing business.

I sell corals here and there and in no way do I have lots of inventory but even I cover shipping delays because the person handing out cash should receive what they paid for.

Stick to vendors who cover delays such as Battlecorals and wwc. I am sure there are others also. There are companies that are willing to make the consumer happy over making a buck.

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never left any customer high and dry... ever. But there is a lot of mis information out about this subject.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never left any customer high and dry... ever. But there is a lot of mis information out about this subject.

What misinformation? If a customer orders something they should end up with what they paid for. Alive. Whether it arrives by 10am the next morning or 10 days later.

grove2nmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What misinformation? If a customer orders something they should end up with what they paid for. Alive. Whether it arrives by 10am the next morning or 10 days later.
I am referencing how shipping companies operate and what shippers are entitled to. I agree you should receive what what you ordered or replacement/compensation if it is messed up.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There absolutely is insurance that covers the loss of livestock if the package is delivered late.

UPS refunds shipping cost if delivery is late. The insurance refunds livestock losses if late delivery and pics provided of the losses.

We use the insurance on every package and have for some time. Livestock high dollar packages are handled differently due to the insurance because they know they're on the hook financially for livestock losses. Any shipper could utilize this insurance if they dig around enough to figure it out.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back