• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Shipping delays- am i burnt?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a piece of "Walt Disney" SPS acropora online. The seller dropped it off at UPS on Tuesday and it was supposed to arrive on Wednesday.
I received an email stating that it was delayed until today (Thursday) but this morning I woke up to an email saying it was delayed until friday.

This is my first piece of sps i've ordered online so I don't have experience with it's hardiness :( Has anyone ever experienced delays such as this & what was your result?

it's got me so sad :pleading-face: I messaged the seller and he said "oh no that's not good stupid UPS"

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Does that mean the seller is going to help if it doesn't make it? Was there insurance on the package?
Hope he boxed it well that it makes it. Is it hot where you are? Is there an ice pack in the box?
So many questions...

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Does that mean the seller is going to help if it doesn't make it? Was there insurance on the package?
Hope he boxed it well that it makes it. Is it hot where you are? Is there an ice pack in the box?
So many questions...
I don't know :loudly-crying-face:
I messaged him about the delays and that's all he said. I always get nervous to be direct with my questions in case they put their guard up. The posting says "Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing" but doesn't mention anything about dead or dying coral/shipping delays etc. I ordered thru him because he has 100% positive feedback which is reassuring.
No it's not too hot or too cold, low of 58 high or 80, tomorrow is about the same.

When he sent it out, he said this:
"sending this out right now. I apcked it up a little different because i don't want it to get too hot. Had to put a heat pack in because it looks like it'll be cold overnight. You'll see what I mean when you get it"
and i have no idea how to interpret that. I will ask him right now.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sounds like he did the right thing in packaging.
Is there a way to contact UPS and tell them the package is a live animal? Hopefully they can help it along or provide a place so you can go get it.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I feel like we're experiencing the downfall of mail order right now. Even crap I buy on Amazon with their two day in prime shipping is taking 2-4 days longer than expected to get here. They know it too.

As for livestock, I do my best to buy everything from members of my local club these days. It's cheaper than retail and the corals are driving from the club members tank to mine by me.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is super resilient , hopefully it will be fine. Cross the road of contacting seller about death upon arrival if it happens no need to stress now

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I just got an update that the package was delivered! I'm also expecting a harem of freshwater apistos- today turned out to be a great day!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I just got an update that the package was delivered! I'm also expecting a harem of freshwater apistos- today turned out to be a great day!
Did you change your screen name?? Lol

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a chance at 48 hours. Quickly act and don't stress the coral more. For example. I would not dip this one since that can cause more stress, but I have safe places to land them.

If you have a way, take the temp of the bag as soon as you open the box. A meat thermometer, heat gun or something accurate. It can tell you a lot.

You will not get a refund from any shipping company for the coral cost. They might refund the shipping cost, but sometimes they don't do that. Somebody just has to eat this as a cost of doing business. It totally sucks.

Many sellers build all of this into their costs and will make it right. ...one of the reasons why I hate it when people complain about frags costing so much since this is a real cost.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree w/the person who said to call them and tell them it's a live animal -- should it happen again in the future. For me in my area it's always FedEx that screws up like this, so I avoid places that use them for livestock, but on the few times it happened to me I have called them and let them know I was extremely worried b/c the package contained live animals, and that did seem to get them to act.

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so coral arrived despite UPS saying it was delayed until tomorrow.
About a third of it is bleached and the rest has peeling flesh. I am heartbroken & want to cry :loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a third of it is bleached and the rest has peeling flesh. I am heartbroken & want to cry :loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face:
Not sure where you are located, but get to your local reef club and pick this guy up from the tank of a new friend, avoiding all of this stress and frustration.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this, but since Covid started this has been the norm. I feel for the vendors. Delays and when on time it seems that the carriers are playing football with the packages. I’ve received many stressed and dead frags that would normally have been fine prior to the Covid thing. I don’t know if employees just don’t care anymore or what the deal is. I used to have the same driver for a long time. Now every delivery, is a different person who just started.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a piece of "Walt Disney" SPS acropora online. The seller dropped it off at UPS on Tuesday and it was supposed to arrive on Wednesday.
I received an email stating that it was delayed until today (Thursday) but this morning I woke up to an email saying it was delayed until friday.

This is my first piece of sps i've ordered online so I don't have experience with it's hardiness :( Has anyone ever experienced delays such as this & what was your result?

it's got me so sad :pleading-face: I messaged the seller and he said "oh no that's not good stupid UPS"
Seller is responsible for buying insurance (yes I know live goods I’m just talking in general) and is responsible for the product to arrive as ordered. Any issues are between seller and ups. Get your money back if it arrives dead.

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are located, but get to your local reef club and pick this guy up from the tank of a new friend, avoiding all of this stress and frustration.
There isn't a reef club in my state!! I found a couple local facebook groups and immediately brought up the idea of a club (there was one ~10 years ago before i stepped away from the hobby) and a few people told me they're trying to get that ball rolling. They just had their first "meeting." and it sounded like 3 people attended.

I can't wait for things to pick up because i never want to pay $110 for a dying coral again :face-with-head-bandage::loudly-crying-face:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back