shipping USPS

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone noticed lately that usps changed what their flat rate shipping boxes are?

they are WAY smaller (actually flatter and longer) than the shoebox type of box they've had for the last year.

that really sucks b/c they are not useful to help with shipping corals now. so no more free boxes. :(

also, how do you go about getting your money back if they guaruntee overnight by 3pm, and it arrives a day late? just curious.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marvin and i were discussing the issue of getting money back from the devil, and it seems like you could get your shipping fee back, but not the value of the item itself.

in terms of the boxes, i just go to the UPS store...they have all the perfect sized cube boxes for cheap. smallest being only about 4 bucks, next size (2'' bigger) 6 bucks.

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Priority boxes (which are free) to ship Express and just turn them inside out. It says on the site that you can't, but I figure I'm paying more for Express than Priority so I don't think they'll complain.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used the Priority boxes (which are free) to ship Express and just turn them inside out. It says on the site that you can't, but I figure I'm paying more for Express than Priority so I don't think they'll complain.

Yep that's what I do.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Also. Keep in mind that you can go to the USPS site and get any type of box for free.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me too! Also. Keep in mind that you can go to the USPS site and get any type of box for free.

And stickers, labels, and other stuff... :)

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys have a direct link to request the boxes, labels and etc?

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have cheaper way to ship I just sent 2 ACans and a powerball to Cali from MI it was 16#s and it was in an ORA box with an Ice pack,

the total cost was about $60!! Man that hurt!?

Does that sound right is there a better way to ship bigger boxes?

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have cheaper way to ship I just sent 2 ACans and a powerball to Cali from MI it was 16#s and it was in an ORA box with an Ice pack,

air cargo is the best if you have a airport close.I can order from CA by 2:00 pm and pick up my package by midnight at the airport.they charge me $50-60 for 100# even if it is in 4-6 boxes.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ouch, well, the fact it was 16lbs for $60 is actually a pretty good deal. if you used fedex it probably would have been closer to $80-$100

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just shipped out a box yesterday that was 12''x12''x14'' that weighed 4.5 pounds and it was $30 for USPS express......Still the cheapest way to go though.....Most of their cost is based on weight....

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usps only delivers to select locations overnight.They cost us alot of cash the 1st year we was in business to the point that they got tired of giving our money back on shipping that they told us we don't want to ship anymore of your packages.It was like there was a guy in the back loading the boxes and hee would see Maggies and go wow lets kick that one.I would get calls from the airport at midnight asking what was leaking from the box.I used ups and fedex also fedex was late most of the time and ups did good.no box kicking from them.everything I have sent gets delivered sometimes late a few hrs but not trashed.I have not lost a box yet from ups.

I have started using the usps in Angleton a town about 20 min away and so far so good.they have not broke anything on the last 5 shipments.

weimers75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it cost you so much because of weight. Mine usually end up being around $25, but they're usually pretty light. Also, I think it was on here that someone said you can't mark anything that goes through USPS as "live", otherwise they go through a different carrier that is not very reliable.

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it cost you so much because of weight. Mine usually end up being around $25, but they're usually pretty light. Also, I think it was on here that someone said you can't mark anything that goes through USPS as "live", otherwise they go through a different carrier that is not very reliable.

you could be right on that because the knew what we was shipping.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think usps is hit or miss depending on the location you drop the package off of, i've been told some crazy things by postal officers that conflicted what i was told before by a different person.....

in conclusion, they have no clue what they are doing.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it all comes down to it, if the guy that is handling your package is an butt wither it be FedEx,USPS, UPS you run the risk of something going bad......They are not any differant then any other business......It just so happens they are the ones we have to trust to deliver our packages....

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it all comes down to it, if the guy that is handling your package is an butt wither it be FedEx,USPS, UPS you run the risk of something going bad......They are not any differant then any other business......It just so happens they are the ones we have to trust to deliver our packages....

very true!!! i just think usps has lower standards when hiring people....lol!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very true!!! i just think usps has lower standards when hiring people....lol!

LOL....And you would think that with all the testing and background checks they have to go through they would be a little above standard.....I guess it's like high school, flub your way through the test and hope they let you pass......Then they can be themselves again..A friend of mines husband is a postmaster General, he seems to be a good guy to bad he isn't handling our packages......I guess it doesn't work it's way from the top down....

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....And you would think that with all the testing and background checks they have to go through they would be a little above standard.....I guess it's like high school, flub your way through the test and hope they let you pass......Then they can be themselves again..A friend of mines husband is a postmaster General, he seems to be a good guy to bad he isn't handling our packages......I guess it doesn't work it's way from the top down....

yeah, i agree its obviously not EVERYONE at usps. i guess its more so, they get way they pay for. in that fedex and ups pay their employees better, so they usually get better employees. the state and govt always pay terrible vs private businesses. maybe the govt should just dissolve the postal service and higher them back as a contractor.....then things would probably be better (although the contractor would seriously cost much more to run...lol)

i mean shoot, remember "men in black 2". pretty much everyone who works at a post office is an alien, right? ;) :hammer:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! I knew a guy who was a postmaster at a local usps.....scare me to think my pack was in his hands!!! 8)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back