Shopping for a 'return pump;.

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater application, 140gallon, planted, running two cannisters, co2 reactor, UV, etc all in series- flow is barely adequate and want to bump it up- 5ft vesicle head. Obviously looking for a quiet pump AC/DC doesn't matter but want controller to cover an oversized choice. Realistic budget is $200cdn +-50, although I appreciate quality can't afford it right now and if pump fails- it's not life or death in this situation.
Don't need any bells and whistles- just a good quiet motor and basic controller. Looking at Jebao DCP6500, Current USA 6010, I generally like Hydor- but this company is in trouble and their quality seems to have slipped. Current seems to have finicky controllers.
Still shopping but looking for updated info and issues.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao is about 150 plus 30 shipping, current is 250 shipping included. Some brands in the US are not available to me.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my current USA returns. I run one in the sump for my reef and the other is in my freshwater planted AIO. I’ve not had any issues from either plus the company is always fantastic with support. It’s affordable and silent. I hear my skimmer over the return.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a 1000gph-ish spec- I like how you can throttle the Current down to nothing, the Jebao doesn't turn down as much I think. With most items you can spend to the moon- what else were you guys looking at before deciding. If any issues- I understand support from Current is pretty good.

Last edited:

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’ve used their products for many years and have always liked the quality. I have the LOOP system on my reef, and use their lights on my other freshwater tanks too. It just felt like the best way to go, since the reef was using a cheap AC pump from Amazon, and I was using a Marineland powerhead on the AIO. The ability to hook it up to my phone with the lights and the powerheads made the upgrade seem logical.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao 6500 will not be sufficient for your tank, I have on on my 120 gallon tank for return only and it trickles water. Look into an Eheim 1265 pump.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater application, 140gallon, planted, running two cannisters, co2 reactor, UV, etc all in series- flow is barely adequate and want to bump it up- 5ft vesicle head. Obviously looking for a quiet pump AC/DC doesn't matter but want controller to cover an oversized choice. Realistic budget is $200cdn +-50, although I appreciate quality can't afford it right now and if pump fails- it's not life or death in this situation.
Don't need any bells and whistles- just a good quiet motor and basic controller. Looking at Jebao DCP6500, Current USA 6010, I generally like Hydor- but this company is in trouble and their quality seems to have slipped. Current seems to have finicky controllers.
Still shopping but looking for updated info and issues.
Try Hygger off Amazon. I have two of their DC pumps running for over a year. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sicce for return pumps. But sounds like you are seeking supplemental flow in addition to canisters? If so, your system isn't dead if one pump fails.
I run a Hygger 1350 inline with a Oase Biomaster 850 Canister at roughly 65%. It boosts flow nicely. You will need a DC pump so you aren't sucking air into the canister system with an overpowered booster pump.

1630640600318.png

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? AC, I'm looking sideways at Hydor- I like their stuff but the company has issues and parts may be a problem. I have a Hydor cannister- works well but parts have to be ordered out of California, also made in china, the Sicci cannister is made in Italy- this Hydor pump is apparently NOT made in china. But I have a sneaking feeling the Jebao units when out of warranty are not serviceable- looks like not much love from Jebao. As the Hydor is from Amazon Canada- I can throw it in a barrel and run it for a few weeks for 'break in'- if it survives great.

Hydor P21201 Seltz D 1000-1600 GPH Controllable Universal Pump​

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Hygger off Amazon. I have two of their DC pumps running for over a year. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sicce for return pumps. But sounds like you are seeking supplemental flow in addition to canisters? If so, your system isn't dead if one pump fails.
I run a Hygger 1350 inline with a Oase Biomaster 850 Canister at roughly 65%. It boosts flow nicely. You will need a DC pump so you aren't sucking air into the canister system with an overpowered booster pump.

1630640600318.png
You have the idea- supplemental flow, the cannisters are also pushing water through a few other items- I knew it wouldn't be ideal but had to try. Cannister 1 (Hydor500) is full of mech and foam, cannister 2 (Sicce500) is bio. One vender I'm looking at- there is a $5 diff between the DCP6000(I had to confirm model) and the DCP8000, any pump has a sweet spot to operate in- don't want to get too big. With cdn$ add 35-30% onto the us$. The Hygger looks like a Jebao.

Last edited:

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the idea- supplemental flow, the cannisters are also pushing water through a few other items- I knew it wouldn't be ideal but had to try. Cannister 1 (Hydor500) is full of mech and foam, cannister 2 (Sicce500) is bio. One vender I'm looking at- there is a $5 diff between the DCP6000(I had to confirm model) and the DCP8000, any pump has a sweet spot to operate in- don't want to get too big. With cdn$ add 35-30% onto the us$. The Hygger looks like a Jebao.
I've had good luck using an inline booster pump. What you can expect is to peak out at close to the rated max flow of the canister itself. Anything beyond that and the canister impeller will start to cavitate and/or suck in air around the seals due to negative pressure. Canisters are designed to withhold moderate positive pressure but not any negative pressure. Also, if you use silicone hose (as I do), add too much booster pump and you will start to collapse the hoses.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Hygger off Amazon. I have two of their DC pumps running for over a year.

2 years ago I bought a Hygger from Amazon due to an emergency and next day delivery.

I could not be happier with this pump. It is so quiet and powerful. After having it run for 3 months I bought another as back up.

Used the back up on another tank and it also has been flawless.

Ordered another back up.

I even run them externally. The only thing about that is you MUST sand the seams smooth on the plastic parts where the O-Rings make contact.

The pumps were so impressive I tried their 300W and 500W heaters. Also flawless.

I'm not cheap. I don't usually go in this direction but I seriously can't complain.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty sure you are looking for a Sicce AC, based on all of your listed requirements, minus the controller.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure whether I'm cheap or not- I do love quality but some niche items just demand too much of a premium. If I had a high dollar salt water deal I might have to spend but I don't think so here. Also as much as I dislike china stuff, some items simply will do the job competently.
At this point DCP8000 $155cdn (123us$) delivered, Hydor 1600AC w controller $250cdn(200usd) delivered.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a Jebao pump, make sure you buy a back up. I purchased mine and it died within a month. I couldn't return it because it sat in the box as plans had changed. All my Jebao pumps failed either sooner than later. The only one that has lasted me for over a year was a WP60. Only because it was on a timer that shut off them pump at night since the stupid night sensor only works if there is ambient light.

OP
OP
D

dfarr67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased the DCP8000 on sale for 144cdn which allows a booster pump purchase for the rodi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back