Short sump heater

dlish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I want to update heaters before any issues occur. I am replacing neo therm. Heaters work great but want to also clean up my sump. you will see in the pic they are in the skimmer chamber. I want to make room there for my mini brs reactor and in the front chamber start a refugium. So that leaves a fairly good spot in the overflow section of the reefer 250 sump, but its only 11" tall. I am running an Apex but do not want to use it to control the heaters just as a failsafe backup. So here is what I am thinking 3 - 75w eheim old school glass or a couple titaniums controlled off a inkbird. I am open to other options as well. Thanks for your help. Again it a red sea 250 ... so 65 ish gallons and temp in the house never really drops below 65.
PXL_20220524_222737665_2.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either look at some titanium heaters with an Inkbird or the Innovative Marine Helio system (whatever wattage you need for your system). I'm in the process of switching over to the latter but currently use an Inkbird.

If possible I would still try to find a way to have these in the skimmer chamber, as having them in the overflow chamber will probably see them needing more maintenance/cleaning.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel inkbirds have a questionable track record & would go with a Ranco industrial controller.
Place heaters in another chamber than the skimmer section.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the way of a preset cheapo heater. If you want to replace after a year its cheap, less chance of saltwater creep into the internals since there is no thermostat knob and they tend to be smaller dimensionally for a cramped sump. Also imho less chance to have a runaway heater.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back