Should Bulk Reef Supply Resurrect ReefKeeper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Should Bulk Reef Supply work to resurrect a Reefkeeper-like low cost controller

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the live stream about controllers today, a lot of love for the ReefKeeper in the comments. It's been floated before, but what do YOU think?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on you know the answer to that is some one should.

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they "resurrect" it? Give Digital Aquatics a bailout? Pointless post

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are much better controllers out for similar costs.
a $250 controller where?

the point is produce a $200-250 controller, only the Name has value. Update would be needed (raspberry?)

OP
OP
Richard Hercher

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not versed on the drama around Digital Aquatics. I only heard about Reef Keeper a month ago. In a recent BRS live show, Ryan very whistfully talked about his idea of going to the owner of DA and seeing if there was a way to bring reefkeeper back as a low cost controller. I’m not sure “bailout” is the right word, but a licensing deal seems to fit how I heard him describe his idea. RK came up again in today’s episode. Is there some significant impediment to it? (Debts, litigation, etc?)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like something along the same price as the reef keeper lite.
I am going to have about 5 to 6 sumps with about 25 tanks and want each system on their own controller so if one controller goes I do not want too loose all systems.

With the Apex JR gone and the Reefkeeper lite there is no low cost controller.

I do not need all the fancy stuff on them either just timers for the lights and a temp controller.

I have a Apex now and I dont have barely anything on it.

Most of my equipment comes with a controller that has better control with them.

I would buy it in a instant if they did..

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i had 2 RKL online heard the news bought 3 more. there is nothing out there for a 100 bucks that will do 1/10 of what you can program these to do.

Worked good, easy to program, relaible and looked good all for the same price as the display on a Apex.

I just can not get past that orange on the newer Apex it is not my thing.
They should offer it in another color.

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not versed on the drama around Digital Aquatics. I only heard about Reef Keeper a month ago. In a recent BRS live show, Ryan very whistfully talked about his idea of going to the owner of DA and seeing if there was a way to bring reefkeeper back as a low cost controller. I’m not sure “bailout” is the right word, but a licensing deal seems to fit how I heard him describe his idea. RK came up again in today’s episode. Is there some significant impediment to it? (Debts, litigation, etc?)
Digital Aquatics is not in business anymore, maybe Ryan knows the owner
personally? I would guess Ryan was speaking off the cuff without thinking.

Paulguns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reef keeper lite for the past 6 years, never had a problem, since they went out of business I had to upgrade due to the temp probes being impossible to find now. I upgraded to an Apex Classic, which i picked up here, used for $250. I love the apex, if you can find used components, price isn't that bad. Being able to monitor and program from your phone right out of the box (no required net module), is great! The interface is much more intuitive than the ReefKeeper.

If BRS or any company were to pick up the reefkeeper, they would have to do some major upgrades, which is going to drive up cost. It would probably be best for a company to start fresh and develop a brand new controller. Its also going to be difficult for any company to compete with apex, just because of the versatility, and the amount of tech, maybe a big reason why DA went under...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a reef keeper lite for the past 6 years, never had a problem, since they went out of business I had to upgrade due to the temp probes being impossible to find now. I upgraded to an Apex Classic, which i picked up here, used for $250. I love the apex, if you can find used components, price isn't that bad. Being able to monitor and program from your phone right out of the box (no required net module), is great! The interface is much more intuitive than the ReefKeeper.

If BRS or any company were to pick up the reefkeeper, they would have to do some major upgrades, which is going to drive up cost. It would probably be best for a company to start fresh and develop a brand new controller. Its also going to be difficult for any company to compete with apex, just because of the versatility, and the amount of tech, maybe a big reason why DA went under...

They went out of business because the parent company gave them no money. One guy could not handle the whole thing himself.

You also cant compare something old technology wise to something newer.

Not everybody needs something with allot of tech.

Most equipment come with their own controllers now that do more stuff than a Apex can do. Matter of fact the Apex does not support allot of the products on the market.
Not only that when they got into the equipment business they became competitors with companies they need to support their product. It is different if you offer equipment that no one make or increases the functionality of of the controller.

It really does not matter though. Something like the DA lite does not even compete in the same market and since they dropped the Apex JR their is a big void that could be filled for those who only want basic function. Not everyone wants or needs a 500.00 + controller.
I have 8 tanks on 3 sumps and adding 3 more sumps with about 15 + more tanks. Each sump I want on a separate system so if the controller fails it does not take out each system.. That is 6 controllers and that is allot of money at 500.00 each.

They do not need major upgrades. Some people need heater control and lighting control. So the price goes up from 100.00 to even 200.00 that still is cheap...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like something along the same price as the reef keeper lite.
I am going to have about 5 to 6 sumps with about 25 tanks and want each system on their own controller so if one controller goes I do not want too loose all systems.

With the Apex JR gone and the Reefkeeper lite there is no low cost controller.

I do not need all the fancy stuff on them either just timers for the lights and a temp controller.

I have a Apex now and I dont have barely anything on it.

Most of my equipment comes with a controller that has better control with them.

I would buy it in a instant if they did..

While not quite as cheap as the reef keeper, GHL does make a more basic controller in there light and mini versions...

Only downside is you would still need to purchase probes and power bars

Mini version is $220 and the Lite is $140

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profilux-mini-white-usacnd/

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While not quite as cheap as the reef keeper, GHL does make a more basic controller in there light and mini versions...

Only downside is you would still need to purchase probes and power bars

Mini version is $220 and the Lite is $140

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profilux-mini-white-usacnd/

Did not know about the lite but it looks like it only does lights and not temp.. Still kind of cool if you want 0-10v dimming. Does not look like you can add a power bar to the lite if you only want timer support.

The mini does everything I am talking about but the price ends up pretty high but still not as bad as the Apex. Might be a alternative but still a little higher than I want to spend.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not know about the lite but it looks like it only does lights and not temp.. Still kind of cool if you want 0-10v dimming. Does not look like you can add a power bar to the lite if you only want timer support.

The mini does everything I am talking about but the price ends up pretty high but still not as bad as the Apex. Might be a alternative but still a little higher than I want to spend.

It's definately not as cheap as the RK but pretty solid little unit and it lets you get only what you need. I agree the Lite is almost useless for most applications, might be worth talking with GHL if you were looking to purchase multiple setups they might work with you on the overall price.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back