Should i consider dosing vibrant

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would consider using Vibrant for is Bubble Algae since nothing else worked for me. I would not use Vibrant for anything else. As others have mentioned, it's tricky and you really need to test often when dosing it.
A foxface worked great for my bubble algae problem

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one look at the tank and am certain you should not dose anything at all, you should fix the algae directly, outside the tank, vs inside the tank, by lifting your rocks out and doing a special step to kill it, not just brush it off

the reason you have algae isnt due to a bad param, we can see that detail in the pics posted. you have no systemic param issues, you are growing exactly the amount of algae a balanced reef with no grazers and totally hands off a year would grow. do not zap this tank, clean it our way, the right way for max longevity.

i assure you doing what the oldest nano reefs in the world do isnt a waste of time here. vibrant touches all actors in the reef, targets and non targets

our way handles those rocks like reef teeth

they have gum areas that dont need the profi angle

and they have a few spots that do. we'd scrape, rinse, peroxide the spot, rinse, put back, and non targets were never harmed at all.

consider your sandbed, are you going to clean it or let it store up just the same until prompted for action

we could do a nice catchup top to bottom rip clean here, for strong effect on the tank.

I second all of this! Reef tanks are not to be clean looking. If anything I'd suggest increasing po4 and no3 for a lps tank. I'm running higher numbers on a sps tank.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that you need to watch with vibrant is that it will PLUMMET your nutrients to 0 if you overdo it. I used it aswell and due to my mistake of not checking my phosphates i astarted getting dinos which you never want to go through trust me. Have you though about getting an urchin? They are amazing at eating algae specially GHA. Or you can go the safe route and use fluconazole whicj is also amazing at getting rid of GHA although its better at killinh bryopsis.
+1 on watching your nutrients if you decide to dose vibrant. You DO NOT want your nutrients being stripped from the tank. And you Definitely do not want to deal With Dinos!!!! I’ll take green hair algae, cyano, whatever, any day of the week over Dinoflagellates. I’ve read about too many people dosing vibrant and then winding up with cyano and dinos. Vibrant will reduce nitrate rapidly. I think a lot of the problem with vibrant usage, is not paying attention to you nutrient levels when dosing. BRS did a video on vibrant. It’s worth a watch. I’d try a more natural approach if it were me. Just my 2 cents.:)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im going to be buying a package from them. They have ricordeas for only 8 dollars each too which is nice. Idk how i feel about adding 60 snails in a 29. Wont it be too much? I might go a size down
Just know that the dwarf Ceriths are really really TINY. I thought the same thing when I first ordered from them. You would be good for a 29g package.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 20 ml of vibrant In a 120 g every other week. More as a prophylactic. My tank has been up for 2 years And no major Algae problems yet.

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have between 75-90 dwarf ceirths in my 40 gallon they stay small and do a great job at controlling any algae in my tank. To me they make my tank look natural. When they are on live rock you barely even notice they're there.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have between 75-90 dwarf ceirths in my 40 gallon they stay small and do a great job at controlling any algae in my tank. To me they make my tank look natural. When they are on live rock you barely even notice they're there.
I im going to buy later the one recommended for my 29g and a porcelain crab just for looks. Thanks!

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people swear by it, but I'll never use again. I used it to reduce algae build up on the glass, but it resulted in an opportunist bacterial bloom that has taken me almost 2 years to get over in 2 of my tanks

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are countless posts and threads on the safety and benefits of Vibrant when following the recommended dosage. Those that are opposed to it have likely never tried it. Don't be scared of it but make sure that this isn't being done as a replacement for proper husbandry.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are countless posts and threads on the safety and benefits of Vibrant when following the recommended dosage. Those that are opposed to it have likely never tried it. Don't be scared of it but make sure that this isn't being done as a replacement for proper husbandry.
I genuily think my cuc is understocked at the moment. I have maybe 8 astrea snails only, 3 nassarius. and they keep it from taking over. Ill use it as a last resort

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is that I have a lot of algae grazers in my reef. Will the vibrant deplete their food source?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back