Should I dose all for reef or BRS 2 part?

What do you use for dosing?

• All for Reef

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • BRS 2 part

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • other, please say which one in comments

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 34 gallon cube as a mostly SPS tank. On my 300 gallon SPS, I used to dose BRS 2 part and everything thrived. That tank has been converted to a peacock cichlid tank, but I still have the Apex Neptune and BRS dosers. I'm running the AN on the new tank, and I was planning on using 2 part, but then I saw All for Reef. Is it better to use AFR or the 2 part? I do a weekly 5 gallon water change and use Fritz RPM for salt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
All for Reef is an all in one additive. Major,minor , and trace in 1 solution. You'll lose the higher PH with using 2 part but gain simplicity with All for Reef

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other".

I use ATI Essentials Pro
which is ATI's 2-part, with added trace elements.

I'm also using Fritz/LA salt.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I added a poll to see what others say. Tuan, would AFR be enough for SPS along with weekly water changes?

Yes, I've seen plenty of "proof" that All for Reef works as advertised for all tank types. However like rtparty mentioned you don't have control of each individual components. It is ionic balanced tho. So, to use it effectively you need all your parameters where you want it before dosing All for Reef where 2 part you dose what you need.

OP
OP
FishPureLuck

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used both and much prefer A4R.

Simple and less maintenance is key to this hobby.
What do you grow in your tank and how big is it? From what I've read so far, I get my parameters to where I want them, then start dosing A4R and it stays there? Sounds way easier than playing with 2 part. This tank is small, so the less jugs in the stand, the better. Do you dose anything else besides A4R?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS for calcium and baked Arm&Hammer (lol) for alkalinity. I’ve never used AFR but I don’t see it being worth the extra cost. I do dose TM A and K for trace elements though.

OP
OP
FishPureLuck

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS for calcium and baked Arm&Hammer (lol) for alkalinity. I’ve never used AFR but I don’t see it being worth the extra cost. I do dose TM A and K for trace elements though.
The extra cost shouldn't be huge with this tank since it's only about 30 gallon total water volume. If I get the same or better results and it's easier to use, I don't mind the extra cost. This tank is at least 10 times cheaper than my old 300 SPS. 5 gallon water changes weekly vs 50 gallons weekly is a lot easier on the wallet.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for Reef is an all in one additive. Major,minor , and trace in 1 solution. You'll lose the higher PH with using 2 part but gain simplicity with All for Reef
If you dose soda ash from BRS you get a decent pH boost, although not as much as kalk or sodium hydroxide.
I have never used AFR but do you know that it gives a bigger pH boost than dosing sodium carbonate?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used both and I really like the simplicity of all for reef. The only issue I had was transitioning from the pre made bottles to the powder. I had a huge Alk spike when I switched. Outside of that I’ve had a ton of success

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you grow in your tank and how big is it? From what I've read so far, I get my parameters to where I want them, then start dosing A4R and it stays there? Sounds way easier than playing with 2 part. This tank is small, so the less jugs in the stand, the better. Do you dose anything else besides A4R?
Mainly grow acros. I have a calcium reactor but it can’t keep up. Dose 35 ml of A4R throughout the day.

70AD605A-28C1-4839-BCEF-51D7B331B12D.jpeg

OP
OP
FishPureLuck

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank PeterC99! I just have a bunch of frags, if they grow anything like my 300 SPS did, I'll be full within the year! I see that you have a torch in there, does it bother any of the surrounding corals? I'd like to have one, but I think my tank is too small. I had two separate torch heads in my 300 and within a year, they each grew into 30 headed monsters!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the torch far enough away from other corals and doesn’t bother anything. You could put one in your new tank and frag/sell if it gets too large.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, alk and calcium are generally used at the same rate, mag is less predictable, so every few months check your mag to see if it needs a little extra adding.

I don’t think your poll will help much, for a bigger tank the cost alone will make AFR a less desirable option.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice!
what calcium reactor are you using?
been thinking about going this route…
Get the calcium reactor. Little bit of a learning curve but really worth it. I use
Reef Octopus

VarioS CR140 5.5" DC Calcium Reactor - Reef Octopus​

1662471760833.jpeg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All-for-reef. The extra cost is going to be negligible for the tank volume, considering you need only one doser and container. It’s very easy to dial in (use alk gain after 24hrs of dosing to dial in your dose).

Only down side is that you won’t get the higher ph boost. However on the plus side, you can dose it in a lower flow area or dose all of it at once unlike a 2 part solution.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back