Should I get these live rocks?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 15 gallon, started with dry rock, and now have some dinos. I know adding live will not 100% stop them, but having the biodiversity could be good. Is it safe (hitchhikers, parasites, etc) and worth it to get live rock in a tank like mine? I was thinking of these

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to start the tank with rock like this, but there's nothing wrong with adding cured live rock to a tank that's already up and running. The only thing I'd really worry about is if your shipment was delayed somehow and there was significant die off on the rocks. That could cause an ammonia spike. You'll know if there's real die off pretty quickly when you open the box (it'll smell awful). You can also put it in a bucket with salt water and a pump for a few days and test for ammonia to be extra sure. Personally, if it smelled fine to me, I'd put it right in the tank.

Hitch hikers are the big gamble with maricultured live rock. If you do the bucket thing above, there's a good chance you'll see and and be able to remove some of them before they go in the display. But you probably won't get all of them. For me, the hitch hikers are worth the risk (and often part of the fun) of using live rock.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, what brand would you say to use?
It's best to start the tank with rock like this, but there's nothing wrong with adding cured live rock to a tank that's already up and running. The only thing I'd really worry about is if your shipment was delayed somehow and there was significant die off on the rocks. That could cause an ammonia spike. You'll know if there's real die off pretty quickly when you open the box (it'll smell awful). You can also put it in a bucket with salt water and a pump for a few days and test for ammonia to be extra sure. Personally, if it smelled fine to me, I'd put it right in the tank.

Hitch hikers are the big gamble with maricultured live rock. If you do the bucket thing above, there's a good chance you'll see and and be able to remove some of them before they go in the display. But you probably won't get all of them. For me, the hitch hikers are worth the risk (and often part of the fun) of using live rock.

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is there risk of sponges and such dieing and poisoning the tank once inside?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there risk of sponges and such dieing and poisoning the tank once inside?
I think it's a pretty low risk. Low enough that I wouldn't worry too much about it. But if you're worried, you can mitigate this a bit by putting the live rock in a bucket (with heater and pump) and testing for a few days to make sure everything is OK.

I've ordered from KP Aquatics in the past with great results. I know a lot of people swear by Tampa Bay Saltwater, and Gulf Live Rock (you linked to them above).

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with all the advice above and there is magic in them there stones...

suggest you pay the max in shipment for a little piece, or find a friend to go in on the shipment with you

Alos, I have added the rock to a higher salinity bucket (38-39ppm) and add an air stone - many of the hitchhikers will abandon the rock - and you can add them back as desired. I pulled a baby mantis this way once

so let your nose help, be cautious, but I credit gulf/keys rock to a quick healthy biome - and lots of cool critter

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your local facebook groups? There's often people selling live rock they've had in tanks for years. That might be cheaper than paying shipping?

Rkdunn1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 15 gallon, started with dry rock, and now have some dinos. I know adding live will not 100% stop them, but having the biodiversity could be good. Is it safe (hitchhikers, parasites, etc) and worth it to get live rock in a tank like mine? I was thinking of these

I just bought this myself. its gonna be here tomorrow. I will let you know how it looks when I open the package.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back