Should I install a gfci outlet for tank

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2018
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
475
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move all furniture and tank away from the wall. why I did this. I got a new breaker box and had my basement rewired. I had the electrician move all the outlets to a whole new different locations. instead in the wall. I had him move them to above into the basement ceiling. I think I might still use a gfci outlet but is it really recomended if the outlets are in the ceiling now?
 
Yes. A GCFI will give you more safety and peace of mind. You have done all the hard expensive work already, finish it and have the best possible safety net for, not only your tank but also, your home.
 
One of the best safety measures you can fo along with a ground probe
 
Yes. Here is an example of why. Last week I went to clean my return line. I put my DC return pump on FEED mode, disconnected the return line, and went downstairs to clean the inside out (had bacteria build-up). Unfortunately, I forgot to unplug the return pump. After 10 minutes, it started pumping gallons of water everywhere, to include all over/inside a power strip. This tripped the GFCI circuit and protected my home. It is cheap to install and can save you thousands.
 
Yes, you need a GFI. It makes no difference if it is in the ceiling or not as that has nothing to do with it. The GFI or GFCI is to prevent you from getting shocked if you get current in the water from a damaged appliance, not if you get water on the outlet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new