Should I install a gfci outlet for tank

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move all furniture and tank away from the wall. why I did this. I got a new breaker box and had my basement rewired. I had the electrician move all the outlets to a whole new different locations. instead in the wall. I had him move them to above into the basement ceiling. I think I might still use a gfci outlet but is it really recomended if the outlets are in the ceiling now?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A GCFI will give you more safety and peace of mind. You have done all the hard expensive work already, finish it and have the best possible safety net for, not only your tank but also, your home.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of the best safety measures you can fo along with a ground probe

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Here is an example of why. Last week I went to clean my return line. I put my DC return pump on FEED mode, disconnected the return line, and went downstairs to clean the inside out (had bacteria build-up). Unfortunately, I forgot to unplug the return pump. After 10 minutes, it started pumping gallons of water everywhere, to include all over/inside a power strip. This tripped the GFCI circuit and protected my home. It is cheap to install and can save you thousands.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need a GFI. It makes no difference if it is in the ceiling or not as that has nothing to do with it. The GFI or GFCI is to prevent you from getting shocked if you get current in the water from a damaged appliance, not if you get water on the outlet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back