Should I move a clownfish clutch into my existing mixed reef tank???!!!?

thomaskc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers,

Thank you for entertaining my conundrum. I have a one year established reef tank.
A721C2FA-7F7C-4D25-BBA3-B6E11DD094CD.jpeg

During this time my snowflakes started to breed so I now have around nine clutches in various stages.
The oldest group hatched 2/5 and is almost ready to go to the local fish store but it has me wondering?
306E309E-5452-49FA-A088-E2E11450FBEF.jpeg

1. Can I successfully introduce a clownfish cultch, all from same group, into my mixed reef tank (with no anemones)?

I am very excited to attempt this and I truly believe if it works the clownish schooling together will be an awesome addition.

Two concerns I have are the fox face and the sailfin. I do not know if they will go after the smallest clowns or will simple not be interested. I do not suspect the clowns will attempt to be assertive since they are way smaller than all other inhabitants except inverts.
Anyway! Let me know what you think?
Will it work?

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers,

Thank you for entertaining my conundrum. I have a one year established reef tank.
A721C2FA-7F7C-4D25-BBA3-B6E11DD094CD.jpeg

During this time my snowflakes started to breed so I now have around nine clutches in various stages.
The oldest group hatched 2/5 and is almost ready to go to the local fish store but it has me wondering?
306E309E-5452-49FA-A088-E2E11450FBEF.jpeg

1. Can I successfully introduce a clownfish cultch, all from same group, into my mixed reef tank (with no anemones)?

I am very excited to attempt this and I truly believe if it works the clownish schooling together will be an awesome addition.

Two concerns I have are the fox face and the sailfin. I do not know if they will go after the smallest clowns or will simple not be interested. I do not suspect the clowns will attempt to be assertive since they are way smaller than all other inhabitants except inverts.
Anyway! Let me know what you think?
Will it work?
I wouldn’t do it I put a few of my baby clown fish from my clutch in my reef tank and the mother and father tore them to pieces,
I even had them in a acclamation box for a couple days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thomaskc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do it I put a few of my baby clown fish from my clutch in my reef tank and the mother and father tore them to pieces,
I even had them in a acclamation box for a couple days.
Ah. Yes. I will be moving the parents out of the main tank and into their own seperate system. They have gotten very territorial since they started laying, which is pretty common I guess.
But thanks!

Upvote 0

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Yes. I will be moving the parents out of the main tank and into their own seperate system. They have gotten very territorial since they started laying, which is pretty common I guess.
But thanks!
In that's case you will be fine, as long as they are big enough to not get sucked down the overflow it should be good so if they’re bigger than three-quarter inch you’re solid it took mine about 70 days to reach that point feeding rotofers for first week and TDO after

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back