Should I setup a QT tank

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my second tank. The plan is to swap everything over to my new tank. I currently know I do not have any fish parasites in my 1st tank. However I did not learn about dipping until I already added a bunch of corals. I potentially could have added so other bad things to my tank?

The plan was to setup a QT Tank (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.288859/) and treat them like brand new corals. I believe the recommendation is 76 days and redip every 14 days. Is that overkill for these corals already in my 1st system. I am not sure on the difference between fish parasites and other coral specific issues. Would a simple coral dip and place in the new DT suffice?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect, dip, brush where applicable, dip, rinse in DT water.
Dip every 14 for 76 (that’s a general ick fallow number), sounds super stressful, you and corals.
May lose some before the DT.
Is there some risk, sure, but if you put corals in your DT, does mean the parasite (or whatever pest) is on the corals, so you would run the same risk with everything you shift over.
2579FD95-CF19-4650-8F97-E93D758BC23E.jpeg

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip every 14 for 76 (that’s a general ick fallow number), sounds super stressful, you and corals.
Is there some risk, sure, but if you put corals in your DT, does mean the parasite (or whatever pest) is on the corals, so you would run the same risk with everything you shift over.
Does anyone know how to brush zoas? Because i have one small zoa frag and 2 of the heads wont open because they have algae growing on them. Im afraid to brush it because i dont want it releasing toxins into the tank and killing everything. I got real scared when i brushed it this morning gently but it seemed to release just a teensy tiny bit of some sort of neon green liquid (or at least it seemed neon green under my tank lighting)

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you recommend. Dip and put in DT.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my second tank. The plan is to swap everything over to my new tank. I currently know I do not have any fish parasites in my 1st tank. However I did not learn about dipping until I already added a bunch of corals. I potentially could have added so other bad things to my tank?

The plan was to setup a QT Tank (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.288859/) and treat them like brand new corals. I believe the recommendation is 76 days and redip every 14 days. Is that overkill for these corals already in my 1st system. I am not sure on the difference between fish parasites and other coral specific issues. Would a simple coral dip and place in the new DT suffice?

If everything is already known to not have parasites, then you don't need to QT them. If you add new things, then you should.

As for the other question about the zoas and algae - as mentioned previously, a h2o2 dip will take care of that.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.
There’s always risk in this hobby, but IMM, in your case, it’s very low.
I actually use a magnifying glass for the inspect part.
Thank you, yeah dip and put in would be no different than what most reefers do when they buy a frag.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back